Suspension interchangeable

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Suspension interchangeable

Post by buttondup on Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:51 pm

I have been getting progressively worse noises from what appears to be the front offside wheel.
It occurs at a frequency that increases with speed and eventually disappears at around 25mph or if turning.
Pretty desperate to get this one sorted and I can get a suspension & front hub for £50 from a local breaker but that is on a van and I have a pickup.
Are they the same size? I think HJ implied on a previous thread they aren't but the breaker is telling me they are.
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Re: Suspension interchangeable

Post by Logi on Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:56 pm

Before doing anything, check the hub nut is tight, they are known to come loose, causes a knocking.
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:08 pm

yeah, i'll do that. hanks Logi
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:00 pm

As as Logi rightly says about B.U. All the experiences of this occurrence seems to be the Nearside Front Wheel.
Whether it is down to a bit of bearing wear or quite what causes the knocking problem which manifests itself initially when on a RIGHT handed bend and gets worse fairly quickly.

If you don't do anything about it the 34mm nut will chop straight through the split pin and the nut come off,  leaving you with rather wobbly dangerous steering.
Normally the wheel cannot come off as the disc is held in place by the pads and Calliper but it is pretty scary. I have had it happen twice.

Remove the split pin and tighten the Castellated nut up as tight as you can. I am not sure what the correct Newton Metres or Foot Pounds setting is.  
The nut may only move a very small amount and you might think " Well  that can't be it".  But you may well be very surprised how little it may need tightening up.

DON'T USE A SPLIT PIN IN THE CASTELLATED NUT AGAIN.
I  ALWAYS use an Allen Key that is a nice fit in the hole through the stub axle end. Bend the key with a pair of Mole Grips ( I am showing my age here). For the uninitiated - -  Vice Grips.

That will stop it Farting in Church again. Laughing
Woodie
Jet Addict

http://thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup on Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:50 pm

lol
I will most definitely need to do this first though I am not sure the symptoms are quite as described.
Noise occurs driving straight and doing left hand turns but as the driver side had taken a good knock before I purchased van and has since been hit again in near enough the same place (bending tie-rods in the process, which have since been replaced) I am sure it is damage to the offside. The joints on the suspension aren't looking too clever either.
Though I love the van, it has been one problem after another since buying in May - I blame the previous owner's negligence.
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:44 pm

No, it's a hijet, they're shit, you will either accept that, enjoy it, or sell it Wink
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:17 pm

I like the description: hijet = an enthusiasts van
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content