Hunting idle - should I avoid this Hijet?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hunting idle - should I avoid this Hijet?

Post by Woodie on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:09 pm

Yep!! So true Logi.
Woodie
Jet Addict

http://thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:50 am

It not usually the temp sensor which causes hunting, its no water going through the thermostatic idle control valve, which should close on contact with hot water.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:09 am

I did consider that Matt but D.T. did say that the heater was blowing hot which as the warm up valve is underneath the inlet manifold I discounted that.

I have had a couple of instances where the temperature sensor has given me that problem of hunting.

Definitely time to pack up and shut up I think. Seem to be losing the plot.
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:50 pm

No its not Woody, you maybe know fuck all about wd40 but your advice on Hijetting is invaluable. Smile
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:53 pm

Woodie wrote:I did consider that Matt but D.T. did say that the heater was blowing hot which as the warm up valve is underneath the inlet manifold I discounted that.

I have had a couple of instances where the temperature sensor has given me that problem of hunting.

Definitely time to pack up and shut up I think. Seem  to be losing the plot.

Don't take it so personal young man Wink Quit with the self doubt!!

You lost the plot along time ago.... maybe the 1960's ????  tongue

I've seen that pipe to the fast Idle control valve full of rusty gunk, heaters will still be hot as its a parallel water circuit.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by discotroll on Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:26 pm

I think the fact that there is a debate on the cause of the idle problem amongst people who really know these vehicles just confirms that walking away was the correct thing to do - rather be talking through the possible causes on a van I *don't* own, rather than one that I do....

discotroll
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:43 pm

You were right Matt. It is my memory playing tricks on me.

The problem in question was that it wouldn't tick over from cold. Only way was to flick it over to LPG. Almost every time the chap stopped at a junction it would cut out.

I plugged in the OBD2 Meter and it came up with the Temperature sensor. So I changed it and it was fine after that.

I pulled the plug off my MPV this morning and it didn't want to start or tick over. So ran it up on LPG to get it warm then flicked it back to petrol. It wasn't happy ticking over but didn't stall. I didn't drive it like that.
So just put the plug back on again and obviously it was fine. Definitely proves your point about the Warm Up valve. As you say the metal pipes into the manifold are a small diameter and gets great lumps of rusty crud in them.
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by nhw2289 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Dearest Woodie and HighlyJetted,

you both seem very clued up on these issues, your wealth of knowledge could prove in handy!

I have also recently bought a 2001 hijet 1.3 and has just started 'hunting' it sounds the same as the problem described here. I was wondering if you might be able to tell me how to check if water is going through the thermostatic idle control valve and if it isn't how to fix it?

I hope this finds you well!

Nick

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:32 am

As most of you seem to know. I must be losing my marbles.. As I have already said last year definitely has taken it's toll on me. If I am wrong about something, I will put my hands up and apologise and Matt put me right on the "Hunting" issue that started this great log thread and I put my hands up to that. It has certainly picked up a great deal of interest amongst many of you anyway which makes for good amusing and sometimes informative reading.

So I thought that I had an inlet manifold off a 1300 here at home and I turned my garage upside down to find it and it not exactly the kind of thing that you can lose in a single garage with all 3 walls cram packed with shelving full of tools.
So I went next door to the nice big wooden chalet that my next door neighbour Sue has given over to me for the purposes of storing some of my Hi-Jet parts. And I went through all the boxes of stock on the new Screwfix not to be highly recommended shelving units I bought last year before the Fire and wouldn't recommend to anyone.

But still no inlet Manifold. I know I bought one over here to home but it has done a David Copperfield and gone and disappeared. So Saturday I went to the garage and retrieved another one. It was then and there that it came back to me ( see, MARBLES AGAIN) where I had put the damn thing, but that was after I had already hunted round at the Workshop and found FOUR more Manifolds TWO of each type. and had put them in my van and buried them under loads more spares.

I remembered that I had put it in the Romahome on my drive in a cardboard box along with a load more spare parts.

So I thought that I would take some pictures for you all to see and hopefully understand what Matt ( Highly Jetted) was so right about - - - The Illusive Warm Up Valve. which lurks under the Inlet Manifold out of sight, like a hibernating Badger that comes out of its Wintertime Sett and causes chaos in the garden digging up food in the lawn. from time to time.

The Warm Up Valve seems to do the same thing - - causes chaos and embarrassment, mainly the same in traffic jams when your Hi-Jet has overheated in a traffic jam and spewed all its Coolant all over Public Highway, usually at the height of Rush Hour or in a 7 mile tailback on the Motorway and you have left the most essential part of a Hi-Jet's tool kit - - 5 LITRES OF COOLANT MIX back at home. Dohhh!!

So a couple of pictures of this Mystical Beast. There!! I got there in the end, after the ramblings of an old man.

Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:34 am

As you can see the two pipes are very small diameter and get a bit of crud/rust buildup in those tiny little steel pipes and it can restrict the flow of water and can make bleeding the valve and system a real problem, hence the Tick over and Hunting up and down problem.
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:28 am

interesting Cool
thanx for the explanation woodie
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Its a thermostatic valve.

It allows extra air to enter the inlet manifold when cold.

If the water flowing through those pipes gets over about 30 deg C, then it closes the valve stopping the air go through, thus reducing the idle speed.

If the valve stays open, then too much air is entering the inlet manifold to make the engine tick over at about 900rpm, instead the engine wants to tick over at more like 1600rpm.

But when it hits 1600rpm, the ECU says too fast tickover, kills the fueling until the engine speed hits 800rpm, when it then reenables the fueling, so the idle speed goes back up.... and around and around the loop goes. hunt hunt hunt hunt hunt
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:16 pm

Knew that you would have an accurate description of what happens and why. Thank you for that.

Just shows how basic my knowledge really is. But I have got by, by trial and error for 50+ years. I just feel embarrassed when something I have written here misleads anyone. Nobody is perfect though I know from a lifelong experience. Embarassed
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:06 pm

Don't think there's any reason to be embarrased there!
It seems what you are saying isn't wrong but Highlyjetted was just elucidating it a little further.
buttondup
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:20 pm

Here, steady on there B.U. I thought I was the only one on here who uses Sartorial Eloquence. study lol!
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top