Is it just me?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is it just me?

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

I can't help but think people are stoned on something, green and herbal, whether it be private or trade, when it comes to what they expect to get for a highjet camper.....I personally think most are taking the total urine.......why are the majority of prices, just trying it on, and way overpriced? Some of them are are so bad they are hilarious......but at the same time its very annoying, because if you want one, it would appear you have two options, pay way too much and never get it back, or buy a van and convert it yourself.......a search currently has several 15-20 year old vans with high mileage expecting 4,999 to 5,999.......what do you hardcore fans think confused study

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Logi on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:19 pm

Also depends on your understanding of the word "Camper", an old shitter with a bucket and a mattress does not a camper make Wink
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:01 pm

.....lol.....some peeps seem to think so!!!

......but even one with pop up roof, sink and stove etc, still comes down to it being a 20 year old van, no matter how much someone tries to fluff it up snd make it sound like its new, maybe it is a work of art in their mind and they deserve silly money, but it's just unrealistic, unless some people will actually pay it!?......I've sold a lot of my own private vehicles over the years, cars, motorbikes and vans and I have always 'kept it real' and been fair......I've never expected to get back everything I've put in, it doesn't work like that in the real world!...it just seems to me that people's heads are in the clouds when it comes to prices of campers in general, but particularly with these very old and small machines..... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:20 am

if they are all priced in the same range well i think thats just what they are worth.
do you think all the sellers had a secret meeting on overpricing their van/camper Neutral

if a van is waaay overpriced like you said then it will just sit their and wont sell.
the result will be a lower price after some time.
prices would logicaly drop becuase the ones selling on fair prices would indeed sell.
the overpriced ones wouldnt but they would see the lower priced ones being sold.
it would be logical if the seller then would drop the price because he also wants to sell.
that behaviour should lead to another seller dropping his price and so on.

if thats what they are asking then i think thats what they are rougly worth, because else nobody would ever sell his

if something isnt worth what the seller is asking people will just not buy it.
its not like they made some maffia like overpricing sceme and then its mandotory for people to pay those prices.
the logical result will be people wont buy it and go looking for something similar in their pricerange.
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:46 am

.......maffia and secret meetings Suspect lol
No.....I just think too many people are greedy, and just follow the highest priced vans. I've been watching the trends for about 6 months, and the majority of rediculously priced vans have not sold and have not dropped, just sitting there waiting for (what they probably think) some eeegit to pay the price. Others seem to use the rediculous priced vans as their bar "well if they can get that so can I", rather than work it out for themselves.
There is a saying that you can't polish a turd, and too many people are trying it with these vans. A 20 year old van is a 20 year old van......thats it......simple, and it doesn't matter how much woffle you put in an advert and explain how much you've personally done, how many pillows you've covered, how nice you make the puctures look with cudly toys and wine glasses......it is IMO worth no more than £1500 - 2k max......

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:11 pm

Check out the episode of Mythbusters where they managed to polish one.Smile
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Is my 30 year old Merc worth 25 k? Probably not, but that's the price others are getting so if I sold it for 15 I'd be a muppet.
Value is in the pocket of the beholder
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:16 pm

Basically they are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:10 pm

......pmsl......I gotta see that mythbusters!!! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Yerp greed, stupidity and like my mum.....despiration!

My other thread came to a head about an hour ago so going to update......it wasn't pretty Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:27 pm

so you are looking at campers priced 5000-6000
and you think that they are worth 1500-2000

the point i was trying to make in my rant was if they are priced 5000 they would probably sell for 4000 in the end.
i think most sellers will always try to get the most out of it.
but looking at a 5000 camper and saying its worth 1500-2000 isnt realistic.
im sorry that you didnt get a hijet camper untill now and hope you will in the end.

you asked for opinions in  your first post, this is mine..
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:10 pm

Hey......good honest debate, love it!.......Wink

im not looking at price, I simply put in a general search under daihatsu hijet campervan uk and there is usual a national list of no more than about 11.....and you get way overpriced, not worth 7/6k, and then working down with maybe 1 or 2 being anywhere near realistic..... scratch just because a van is listed at 6k doesn't mean it's worth that, which is exactly my point! The ones that are listed at 4/5k imo should be 2k, ones listed at 1.5/2k should be under 1k......imo, but hey I now know you can actually polish a turd..... lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:59 pm

yes, keep an eye on them regular and you see o es that keep cropping up time and again at a highish price but guess what....they do eventually sell, may be a little reduced but market demands. A little camper van is now fashionable which of course forces the price up.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:02 pm

oh and yes good honest debate is welcome on here
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:58 pm

Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by dennispenis on Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:50 am

5k for a camper ? You could have a good night out for that
dennispenis
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:30 am

Raggy wrote:A little camper van is now fashionable which of course forces the price up.

yes i have noticed that to
prices of campers realy went up the last couple of years, also here in the netherlands.
doing up your own old retro caravan is another trend over here to.
or converting a microvan in a foodtruck is another one.

when i sold my mitsubishi l300 camper it was maddness, i had people fighting over it
and in the end i was sorry i didnt sell it for more.

another thing i noticed is that hijets are going up in prices to over here.
i search the dutch and other european sites every day for liberos/hijets/carrys and i have seen almost every one for sale in the last couple of years.
hijet prices are creeping up over the last year here in the netherlands.
hijets that were in the 1250-1500 range now are often 2000 and up.

sometimes things are in a pricerange you cant realy explain.
i payed 2000 for my 30 year old carry with rusty arches and an expired mot for 6 months.
i didnt like paying that for a 30 year old turd.
but nobody forced me to buy it, the market says its roughly worth that and it will only go up in price.
i polish the litle turd verry often Laughing

and when i ever sell it i will be glad the prices are the way they are.
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:10 pm

Look at the pics Scotia posted showing the orange and white van, that definately proves that you can polish a turd Very Happy
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:55 pm

Here's a good example - 1999 pick-up with Romahome on it with starting bid of £500, currently 20 bids and £1,320 - what's it (going to be) worth?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-T-reg-DAIHATSU-ROMAHOME-FREESPIRIT-/272572570697?hash=item3f76975c49:g:XyUAAOSwTuJYtbCJ

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Raggy wrote:Look at the pics Scotia posted showing the orange and white van, that definately proves that you can polish a turd Very Happy

now come on.....lol.....that's more than polishing, that is completely breaking it down with a tooth pick to its bare peanuts and totally replacing every bit of it,.....I did see it previously, looks very good.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:21 pm

PFM wrote:Here's a good example - 1999 pick-up with Romahome on it with starting bid of £500, currently 20 bids and £1,320 - what's it (going to be) worth?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-T-reg-DAIHATSU-ROMAHOME-FREESPIRIT-/272572570697?hash=item3f76975c49:g:XyUAAOSwTuJYtbCJ

finished off at just over 3k.....nearly 20 years old......i'm not gonna say it but...... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:56 pm

It's all about the supply and demand...
speaking of Supply, this looks a tidy little number,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daihatsu-Hijet-Romahome-demountable-very-low-miles-MOT-low-owners/252800304532?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083358%26meid%3D51cb352284604ed6956971dc0c1c6a39%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D272572570697
buttondup
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:24 pm

The Free Spirit version was the last demountable Romahome made.
The company, Island Plastics went bust in 2002 with 10 Free Spirit bodies left. Romahome SVP rose from the ashes of the and we completed 2 of the bodies and took one to the Motor Caravan Show at Earles Court in 2002. They advertised them at the show as having 5 left and sold all ten of them. The last one was sold to Margaret Chee a high flying Solicitor in Morden near Croydon. I delivered it to her myself and went back several times to sort out minor problems with the Caravan. There are two Free Spirits left on the Island and one of them was offered to me the end of last year, but I was too unwell to take it on.

I think that I better see if the elderly lady still has it. If it is going to make that kind of money, it's worth a punt at it.
Woodie
Cinquecento

http://thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Well this is the sorry state it is in. I have left a message asking them to phone me. See what happens.
Woodie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Steveincornwall on Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:16 am

Apart from the green camouflage, it looks like it could be good.

Steveincornwall
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:40 am

The lady who used to drive it brought it to me several times to do minor jobs on the van itself. I think that the last job I did was a fault on the rear lights, a common problem with the cheap and nasty light units they used. It was tidy inside and out the last time I saw it, although it did pong of dog like most Romahome's do due to the elderly owners having pets to keep them company.
Woodie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Woodie wrote: It was tidy inside and out the last time I saw it, although it did pong of piss like most Romahome's do due to the elderly owners being incontinent.

lol!
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:25 pm

Utterly incorrigible Logi. There is absolutely no hope for you.

I had a call from the owner and arranged to go over and see the Romahome Free Spirit at 4 pm. In the meantime he and his neighbour had feverishly washed the whole van. Certainly looked somewhat different. First thing I spotted was no Free Spirit decals and stripes on the body. Then the gap between the body and the cab was wrong. Looking at the body to flatbed mounts, they were totally wrong and in the wrong places.

Definitely not a Free Spirit. Looking inside there was no raised floor moulding over the gearbox inspection cover, which if it was Hi-Jet would have. The floor was flat. It was from a Bedford, not a Hi-Jet. The opening side window had a 10 inch crack in the inside of it. They are double skinned and a new one would be £500-£600 these days. It would clean up inside reasonably with a good bit of elbow grease.

The Hi-Jet has done only 15,000 miles and has been stood for four years. It failed the Mot on all the Brake pipes, needed two wheel cylinders ( which Wight Motors quoted £800 to do both 4 years ago) and brake shoes and now discs and pads. Both Headlights are totally copper finish and exhaust is hanging. It hasn't been run since the Mot in 2013.
Got down to the nitty-gritty and he values it at £3,000 !! I would be pushed to give £300 for it. He hasn't got a clue. Living in the past. I would love the truck to break up with that mileage on the engine.
When new it was owned by the managaging director of Romahome or Island Plastics as it was known before it went bankrupt.

Woodie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:36 pm

£3000 Laughing Laughing You got to ba having a part! Only thing going for it as far as I can see is the engine and is the going? Looking back at the MOTs they were advised about the brake pipes....ignored it....so next year it failed on them. Pity, looked a good find initially, good job you have the knowhow to know what to look for. Well at least its a clean looking pile now.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:00 am

thats a shame.
but as always, loved the story and pictures.

Raggy wrote: Well at least its a clean looking pile now.

lol!

how about this one.
the best conversion i have seen in years ... just wow Shocked

http://link.marktplaats.nl/m1145250450
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next