Cigarette lighter socket not working

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cigarette lighter socket not working

Post by joselynmay on Fri May 12, 2017 12:59 pm

Hi all,

I have been lurking here for ages but this is the first time posting (I think - can't remember!). Hopefully this is the right place to post this question.

We have had our 1.2 diesel Hijet, P reg, for almost a year now and are just getting around to sorting things out.

One problem with it is that we can't get the cigarette lighter to work. The person before the person who owned it before us had installed a radio (which isn't there anymore) so we think that they probably took some of the wiring from the cig. lighter for the radio. Looking underneath there seems to be too many loose cables. I really don't know enough about how it all works to be able to figure it out for myself at the moment -  steep learning curve coming up!

We have tried replacing the fuses and that didn't help.

I was wondering if anyone has a photo or a diagram of what is meant to be wired into what for the lighter?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by joselynmay on Fri May 12, 2017 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited to add reg year!)

joselynmay

Back to top Go down

Re: Cigarette lighter socket not working

Post by Raggy on Fri May 12, 2017 7:02 pm

From what I can remember from looking at mine was that there are two wires to the CIG lighter. Mine had been wired to my leisure battery so it could be used when not running but I changed it back to normal and sorts out the leisure battery outlets properly.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by joselynmay on Sat May 13, 2017 10:18 am

Ok, many thanks.

Will be going out there again later so will have another good look. If it still doesn't make sense I will take photos this time.

Thanks again!

joselynmay

Back to top Go down

Post by wrightgeordie on Sun May 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Just a suggestion, if you want to use the socket to charge a phone etc. You may as well change it for a USB type socket while you're at it. Easy job and much better than using an adaptor plug, plenty available on ebay.
wrightgeordie
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by joselynmay on Tue May 16, 2017 10:01 am

Hi,

Many thanks for the help.

I had a look at it over the weekend and there are two wires that go into the back of the lighter (a blue one and a yellow/white? one) but it still isn't working so will need to do some more investigation into that. I am thinking that I need to try to clean the wires and then plug them back in? Sorry - major noob here. Here is the picture of the back of the socket:

Wiring in a USB socket is a very good idea, thanks for that! It may be that changing it over will get it working too.

Under the dashboard are two bare ended cables/wires? one brown and one blue which I have no idea what they are for! Hopefully they aren't dangerous. I have included a photo in case anyone know what they are. I assume that the plug next to them is for a radio of some kind.

Many thanks again!

joselynmay

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Tue May 16, 2017 6:44 pm

Firstly, make those 2 wires safe just in case! Either wrap each end separately with insulation tape or use a connector strip to stop them touching each other or anything else.

Second, you have 2 wires to the lighter. One should have 12 volts when the ignition is on (from 1st position) and the other should be earth. If you have volts on one of the cables then either the lighter body, or more likely the element (the bit you pull out to burn your fag), is shot. Maybe it's trying to tell you to give up?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top