Heater Panel illuniation bulb(s)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Heater Panel illuniation bulb(s)

Post by biofos on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:54 am

Hi Folks,

I have no heater panel illumination. I've tried several times to access the bulb but cannot work out how to release the heater control section from the dash so I can pull the connector covering the bulb. I remove the two screws that point upwards below the centre bar and then ease off the dark grey surround. Then remove the two screws at either end of the heater control panel. The panel has two small lugs that fit into two small holes to centre the panel and I can 'release' these by pressing the panel inwards. This allows me to move the panel slightly downwards so I can see the two wires and the connector above the bulb. I've also removed all the screws holding this part of the dash to the metal chassis behind and this gives a tiny bit more space. BUT there's no room to get fingers or tools in to push the connector off.

Am I missing something? Am I looking in the right place? Has anyone managed to replace these bulbs? I don't wnat to remove the entire dashboard.

Cheers,

John.
biofos
Clubman

http://www.biofos.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Heater Panel illuniation bulb(s)

Post by Woodie on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:33 am

Commiserations John. I suggest that you find a Leprechaun to help you or a grandchild with tiny hands.
It is a swine of a job trying to do that job without taking most of the dash apart. I made sure that I put all hammers, saws and axes out of reach first though.

I have managed it in my own MPV but my blood pressure went through the roof and I had to have a lay down with 3 Diazepam afterwards. Having hands the size and strength
of Mobile Bear Traps and a temper to match isn't a good combination to replace the tiny little bulb that would be easier to get at if it were locked in Fort Know.

Trouble is that the Japanese car manufacturers are masters of being tighter than the Scots as a Nation.
They use the bare minimum of wiring and cables that is possible. It is possible to do the job without taking the dash out but I can't remember exactly how I did it now. I think that I ended up using a pair of angled Snipe Nose Pliers to get the holder out and change the bulb.

I have been used to taking 90% of the hundreds of Hi-Jets I have owned, to bits and selling the spares. The only ones I have put back together are sales vehicles and the occasional Customer's vehicle - thankfully.
It is possible to do it but manoeuvring the controls into a workable position takes some doing. It's a Robert The Bruce job I am afraid.
Woodie
Jet Addict

http://thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:50 am

Woodie
Jet Addict

http://thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by biofos on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:26 am

Thanks Woodie,

I searched the forum before asking but found only one specific post which, I think was from yourself, a few years ago. The dashboards must be fitted with most of the components before assembly and the heater control panel must be one of them. I got some of those bent nosed pliers somewhere but they are quite large so I'll have to have a search for some smaller ones. Looks like a bugger of a job.

I've tried some LED illumination below the panel but it's not really effective as the proper set up has the bulb illuminating a tube that goes round the sliders, whereas the LED's can't penetrate this.

Incidentally I've installed two LED strips as footwell lights (and one in the instrument nacelle) all blue, and it makes the cab look and feel great at night. And it's good to actualy see the instruments lit up properly. Easy to do and inexpensive. Well worth the effort. Connected them all to one of the ACC circuits so they come on with the ignition rather than the lights, but they use tiny amounts of power so no problems.

Anyways, will drop back onto this job later in the week when I've got the right gear!

Thanks again

John.
biofos
Clubman

http://www.biofos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top