What do I do with a Hijet?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do I do with a Hijet?

Post by maff on Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi everyone, I just joined the group and am seeking some advice, please. This summer my son decided that he would raise money for charity by driving to Mongolia in a cheap vehicle in the Mongol Rally. He wanted something eye-catching, fun and unusual so bought a 1999 heavily pimped-up Hijet van, sort of converted into a camper, with oval windows added into the sliding doors and a timber base for a bed in the back. He was deeply disappointed when he was told that it would need quite a bit of work to get it ready for the trip and there was not enough time, so he found a £500 Clio, got all the way to Mongolia and home again safely and raised £3,500 for two charities.
So Dad gets the job of working out what to do with the Hijet. It is weirdly (and rather amateurly) customised with skirts and a front that looks like Darth Vader, but it has a good set of alloys and tyres, starts, runs and stops ok with no signs of overheating and has 112,000 on the clock. The MOT runs to November and there is some corrosion, but my local MOT garage says that none of it is structural. However, as a minimum it needs two new headlights to get it through an MOT, plus some minor repairs (door and window handles broken etc.)
It would make a great project for someone who fishes, surfs etc. and wants to be able to bed down, but it has no camper van kit – just a timber frame. Or should I scrap it for parts?
All ideas (apart from suggesting that I drive it to Mongolia) welcome.
Maff

maff

Back to top Go down

Re: What do I do with a Hijet?

Post by Raggy on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:08 am

Any pictures, links to pictures or more info, reg number etc that would greatly help with what suggestions could be made. Is this van black? Sort of recognise the Darth Vader description and port holes as one advertised previously. If you don’t want it try just selling it on as a project or if you want to keep it (they are fun) we would need more info, does it run OK, no overheating issue etc?
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by maff on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:27 pm

This is a pic of it. I haven't taken any sale photos yet.

It was advertised on Gumtree. My son drove it down from the north east to the south east and there were no signs of overheating. I have just driven it locally and it seems to start and go ok. Brakes seem fine. Tyres and alloys excellent.

maff

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:20 pm

Yes that’s the one, was advertised ages ago in Doncaster where I am based then so where else. Glad you finding it OK. It used to be all black then I think last owners added the white. MOT history looks good so use it or sell as is.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top