MOT coming up soon!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MOT coming up soon!

Post by nhw2289 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi All!

My MOT is coming up and I was just wondering if anyone thought it might be a good idea to buy the parts they might need beforehand to reduce costs? These were the things that were flagged last time:

-coil spring corroded front
-shock absorber has slight corrosion to the casing (rear)
-(general underbody corrosion)
-brake hose slightly deteriorated front

Any helpful advice on how I can make this cheap and where to buy or if I can do anything myself before taking it to the garage would be much appreciated! Oh also the brakes don't seem to be very responsive... is this anything to do with the brake hose?

Thanks all!

Nick

nhw2289
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Re: MOT coming up soon!

Post by Raggy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:37 am

As far as supplying parts for the garage I would check with them that they will fit customer supplied parts, the garage I use won’t.
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:38 am

First thing I would do - GET THE MOT DONE FIRST. Don't go wasting money on items that you may not need. Once you have the Mot in your hands THEN look around for the parts you need.
Get your van in as soon as possible (up to 30 days before the current one runs out).

We have had arguments on here before about what happens if it fails - Can I still use it after the failure - yes until the time current one runs out. I was one that thought no you can't but after a lot of digging and arguing with Highly Jetted - he was right - and I phoned Swansea several times about it - but yes the current mot is still current until the last day - unless there is a dangerous fault that the garage found then no you cannot drive it, pretty obviously for safety sake.

Get that Mot booked and find out what you need. If you need some used parts like the coil spring - email me at thehijetmaniow@gmail.com with your Mot results and let's see how I can help or there may well be other members on here who have the parts you may need.
Woodie
Jet Addict

http://thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sputnik on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 am

As Raggy says, some garages will fit bought in parts, others won't. And some might not normally but may bend their own rule for odd parts that aren't readily available to them through their suppliers.

In terms of the advisories you mention, it probably really depends how bad the various bits are. 'Corroded' covers quite a broad spectrum from light surface rust to near disintegration but not quite a complete fail! If they aren't bad or rather haven't got much worse you could just leave them be and probably (but not necessarily pick up another advisory, which , let's face it is no more than general advice for you). Alternatively, you could give the relevant parts a bit of a rub down, rust proof and lick of paint. This would have the twin effect of potentially stopping or slowing the corrosion as well as making it look nicer (aka hiding the problem!). The brake pipe is probably the one that is most likely carry most risk but again, it really depends how bad it/they are.

Think I have had all of these advisories for the last 2 years and kept meaning to give the parts a bit of a sand and paint to stop the rot... but haven't. And this year I failed on my brake lines, so that'll teach me to actually do stuff rather than just having good intentions!

sputnik
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:58 pm

sputnik wrote:that'll teach me to actually do stuff rather than just having good intentions!
Dont we all do that Very Happy
Raggy
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:42 am

Raggy wrote:
sputnik wrote:that'll teach me to actually do stuff rather than just having good intentions!
Dont we all do that Very Happy

silent jep Laughing
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top