Petrol smell...

Go down

Petrol smell...

Post by danielfrisbee on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:12 pm

Hello,
I have a hijet 1.3 mpv and it's getting more and more petrolly, and it's not being good on fuel either, though it was never amazing. I don't use it that regularly maybe once a week, sometimes it's sat still for two or three weeks,then used for a long ish journey from time to time. I think I'll need to get it serviced but just wondered if there's any obvious things to look at that I'm too ignorant to know about..
Many thanks for any pointers -
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Re: Petrol smell...

Post by sputnik on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:36 pm

May be stating the obvious, but corrosion on the tank itself is one option. I think the pipe going from the petrol cap to the tank can also be prone to corroding. Bear in mind that you are sitting virtually on top of this area so any evaporating vapours will be going straight up to you so will be noticeable. Other than that, checking any other tubes and pipes in the fuel system for leaks, breaks etc.

Top tip - if it's a leak, don't use the light of a match to help locate it!

sputnik
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:05 pm

Stating the obvious is like being a savant if you're talking to me about cars. I'll start with the tank and work back then, ta
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:39 pm

This thing is leaking a lot. There's one of those screw tightening cylindrical clamp things there (can't remember what they're called). Before I try and take it off and clean it and reatach it.. Any tips! Will I die? Petrol tank is half full..
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Well since I'm clueless I felt safer asking before trying to fix it since not used to being around petrol. The rubber pipe had corroded, managed to pull off the seized up jubilee clips, got a face full of petrol, and cycled to Halfords and got some new pipe. Apologies if this tale was so pathetic it shouldn't have been posted... Just a bit scared of petrol spraying around.!
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:45 am

thats not pathetic at all
im scared of brakes and dont do anything myself on them.
thanx for posting the solution, it could help others out who have the same problem.
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:24 am

No question on here is stupid or pathetic, keep on posting. We all have to learn. Glad you got it sorted. Looks lik you were not th first to look at that as those jubilee clips are not original I don’t think. The tube probably wasn’t the correct type and not petrol resistant so that’s why it eventually failed. The more you o jobs like this the mor confident you will be, but I’m like scotia, if in real doubt, leave to the experts.
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:34 pm

Sending these photos first as I am being told unable to send both text and photos together as Memory is low.
Mine or the Tablet? This is working - so far!!
Woodie
Jet Addict

http://thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:35 pm

Hi Dan. You were absolutely right to ask as Scotia and Raggy have already said. When it comes to Petrol and particularly LPG, you cannot be too careful.

That metal fuel pipe looks horrendous and definitely needs replacing as does the Fuel Filter. Get rid of both as soon as possible.  The trouble is that as soon as
you attempt to undo the petrol pipe union it twists the metal fuel pipe and it snaps at the start of the bend. Which is most certainly what has  happened to your pipe and it has been bodged with a bit of tired rubber hose.

You need to get a new filter ASAP and a length of the internally reinforced double rubber fuel pipe as in the picture. Get rid of the the rusty pipe  as far forward  as it goes to some decent metal pipe which is usually as far as above  the front of the Petrol Tank almost as far as the front of the Gearbox Bellhousing. In fact there is a a join in the metal pipe alongside the Engine/Gearbox. Take the rubber pipe right to that metal pipe. Make sure you secure the rubber petrol pipe with plenty of wide Cable Ties wherever you can find a convenient position.
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:03 pm

That looks pretty similar to where mine sprang a leak from some years back. I had been thinking my fuel consumption was getting worse but just thought it was down to being an old engine, filled up with petrol one day and walking back to the van noticed a puddle forming underneath Shocked thankfully an easy fix
elfin girl
Cinquecento

https://www.facebook.com/bydonellamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:42 am

Come on Daniel. Give us an update. You are online now so no excuses.!!
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum