Have Bambi would like to change to a daihatsu hijet romahome

Go down

Have Bambi would like to change to a daihatsu hijet romahome

Post by Maccaroon on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi, if anyone considering selling a not too old ie. 2001 upwards hijet romahome can you give me a shout. I am in se london but know will need to prob travel to find one. Just missed a 01 in Poole. The Bambi is fine but hoping to get a larger engine to travel more. Thanks

Maccaroon

Back to top Go down

Re: Have Bambi would like to change to a daihatsu hijet romahome

Post by Woodie on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:00 am

I've got one of Sooty's Magic Wands if you want to borrow it to change your Bambi into a Romahome.
I've got an 04 plate Dual Fuel with 50,000 miles on the clock I have owned for 4 years. It has got a Mk2 body on it at the moment but that will be coming off and I will be fitting a Mk5 body - but not until the weather improves in the spring. I will be looking for £4,000 for it when it is up together. The Alloys are not included or for sale.

Woodie
Jet Addict

http://thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maccaroon on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:31 am

Hi there. Not looked up your reg. Is the engine a 1.3?Sooty can be clever with a wand. Ive persisted with the Bambi but it can be noisy to tolerate on long journeys if you want to keep at decent speed. Now, Dual fuel, not come across that. What's the mk5 body difference? Do they come with the window in front or not? In 2 minds if this is a positive or negative if water gets in. Where are you based? Would like to know when you thinking of changing and selling. Do you trade in these if changing the body? Cheers

Maccaroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Maccaroon on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:32 am

Oh and would the van base have side skirts?

Maccaroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 am

I suggest that you start doing your homework about Romahome's and Hi-Jets first before you start taking any flights of fancy Maca. Homework and maths first. Most important with the any purchases.

Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Maccaroon on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:28 am

Oh Woodie, is this your humour coming through. Have both a bambi and a hijet so know the brand's and indeed spent ages on the bambi to secure through winter with new sealants etc so preferring to change to a fibreglass back section. Not sure what you mean by maths homework? Mk5 looks like a 1989 body but unfort not been in one to compare to the bambi so will investigate to understand differences. The main for me is compatible size to bambi but larger engine and never tried lpg. Your hijet has been sorn for a while so if you are selling it later in spring will it comes with mot? Has it been stored inside, ticked over when off road? Thanks

Maccaroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:55 am

Ascerbic wit I think that you will find Macca.
You'll get used to it if you hang around long enough.
I don't have the Underside trims at the moment. A friend has them and is making moulds to knock out a few sets for sale for me.
It has been run up and driven around my yard every so often. It will have a full Mot when sold, although I might just fall in love with it again and keep the Mk5. If you have got a Hi-Jet and you have checked the SORN then you will know that it is a 1300 as are all Hi-Jets post late 1998 on S reg.
If you can find a pick up, then I will sell the body in the pictures for around £450.

I have written a lot about Romahome Demountable s on here having worked for Romahome for 2 years as their Service and Warranty Manager. Have got quite a few spares for them too.

So have a look back through the numerous posts about Romahome and LPG. 7 of my Hi-Jets are Dual Fuel. Absolutely the best thing since sliced bread - so long as you don't Toast the engine.

Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:47 pm

i thought the same thing.. because you asked if it was a 1300.
you can tell its a 1300 by the front obviously.
woodie is always a bit direct with his words but i have never known a more trustworthy and knowledgeable person in this whole microvan world.

i can understand why you would want something with a bigger engine
i had a 1.3 hijet and now a suzuki carry with 0.8engine 34hp.. its just ridiculous how slow it is.
and i dont even have a pod in the back, its just a van.
its the number one reason why i would sell it
i love it but the 90kmh top speed sucks donkey balls, i cant drive it on the highways.
i did that once and it wasnt much fun with the large trucks that drove up my back and then past me  pale
i havent been further than 25km from my home with it in the last 1,5 year
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Maccaroon on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Thanks Scotia, wish I had found this site earlier. Learning and didnt spot the 1.3 from the front, despite having one lol. Anyway agree a bigger engine could help. Getting used to sitting in the slow lane! Question to all hijet folk, with no power steering are these all really tight to turn? I play the shuffle back and forth to gain ground to get out of tight spots yet the Bambi is so easy to move.
Woodie has the knowledge of hijet and romas as unfort not one roma in my area. I have folk regularly looking at and photographing my vans.

Maccaroon

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:58 pm

yes the have that effect Smile
i have had about 16 different cars and the litle microvans are the most popular i have ever owned.
everywhere i go people start talking to me about it.
people give thumbs up and take pictures when i drive it.

they are also verry nonagressive looking..
i tend to get away with things way more than other cars.
i had a bmw e36 coupe once and people hate you when you drive that.
and also the police would stop me a lot to, for regular checks and or breathelizer tests.
i have never been stopped by police once with my hijet or with my carry.
despite it being verry loud for instance.. i deleted the rear mufler for a piece of pipe Laughing
listen to it roar in this youtubeclip Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4C62YmHNjA
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Maccaroon on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:33 am

Hey, enjoyed that. My Bambi does kick off a bit with the old manual choke!
I had a question 're steering, seriously does the hijet have a tendency to be heavy on getting out if tight spots. The Bambi is so much lighter.

Maccaroon

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:01 am

i never noticed that.
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Maccaroon on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:54 am

uummhhh, I think my Derek Van is a steering brute to get out of tight spots. Still too attached to sell. Thank you

Maccaroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:48 pm

You are not wrong Macca. They are heavy on the steering when manoeuvring out of tight spots and turning round. Even after greasing the centre pivot even they are still pretty butch.

I can't really explain why, but I do run my front tyres a good bit higher than suggested - usually 35 lbs in 185/60/13 tyres and it does make a difference and makes steering more responsive at speed.
Just wish they had such lovely smooth power steering like the Daihatsu Extol.
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Maccaroon on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:27 pm

Woodie - cheers for confirming. I regularly have porridge for breakfast but no effect at handling such a little van! Power steering, boo hoo... but the Extol just doesn't have the appeal. Thought it was strange as the Bambi is a dream to turn! Keep me updated on your plans. Often I am down in Ringwood and have a cousin on the Isle whom I should visit.

Maccaroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:37 am

Hideous looking things. They look like a Cartoon Picture van out of Postman Pat or a similar kids programme.

But they are a lovely comfortable ride, nice comfortable seats and a good suspension system, but useless carrying capacity with the false floor which starts at rear wheel arches height akin to the Super Carry /Rascal arrangement.
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:33 am

Woodie wrote: Hideous looking things. They look like a Cartoon Picture van out of Postman Pat or a similar kids programme.

But they are a lovely comfortable ride, nice comfortable seats and a good suspension system, but useless carrying capacity with the false floor which starts at rear wheel arches height akin to the Super Carry /Rascal arrangement.

you mean the newer carry 1.3 .. the older rascal and supercarry have a flat floor woodie

scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 am

No not at all Scotia. I was referring to the Extol but as regards the new shape Suzy also having the raised floor - to the best of my knowledge. .

The Extol looks awful from the back and look like they are going to tip over at the first slight bend. Lovely to drive but hideous to look at.
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:04 pm

Woodie wrote: with the false floor which starts at rear wheel arches height akin to the Super Carry /Rascal arrangement.

ok i thought akin to the supercarry/rascal ment the same as the supercarry/rascal.
sorry, i translated it wrongly.

yes its the newer shape carry (the carry 1.3) that has a raised floor.

i agree, the extol isnt verry good to look at indeed.
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Maccaroon on Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi Woodie - are you still around. I popped you a message re hijets & romahomes but haven't heard from you. Hope all ok, M

Maccaroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:28 pm

Just had a look at the red one from Poole. Looks very clean and tidy but the body is a VERY early Honda Acty one. Probably 82/83.
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Maccaroon on Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:47 pm

Ah. I went to see it this evening. I thought the body was pretty worn outside but nice interior. Has the porthole so lots of light and big Windows but you do lose storage space in comparison to bambi. It's got 71k on clock. Bits of rust around sills but van looks ok and interior good. No cover over battery side as broke part way along. Thanks for identifying the body. Hope you well and still enjoying your vans. M

Maccaroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum