Young Blood

Go down

Young Blood

Post by stevesubscription on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Hello!

Having read a few weeks back, Woodies post - (Dodo) - I thought I would try and revive, if possible some activity on the site. I am going to be travelling and sleeping a lot in my Hijet this coming spring and summer - so a lot to be getting on with and ultimately posting about. Firstly MOT and all is coming up... first fix is the catalytic converter.

If anyone has advice about which one to purchase for my 2001 1.3 hijet, do let me know. Also fitting, although I am sure after reading Raggy's "exhausted" post it should be fairly easy. Thanks Raggy!
Is this the kind of bambino I would be wanting to get. Not sure if I should risk it, looks like a drawing to me...
https://tinyurl.com/yapyaa4r

Going to post in another section with my camper conversion progress, dixie horns, radio fitting attempt. Plus many more after the break.

Thanks,
Steve
stevesubscription

Back to top Go down

Re: Young Blood

Post by Woodie on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:48 pm

First of all Steve welcome to the Asylum. Another Haggis Haggler I see. You'll never beat Logi for bargains, but if you have a quarter of his sense of humour you will fit in just nicely.

Your first job is to remove the rusty heat shield that isn't really needed and see what kind of condition the actual Cat is in. I expect it will be fine. Have you got a friend who has a Mig Welder or a garage you can trust. From your pictures it looks like you have a hole just behind the exhaust Flange. Easy enough to repair, preferably with the exhaust dropped down. Piece of cake to remove. Just the two 14mm bolts with the tension springs. Try slackening off both bolts cold. If they present too much resistance then take the van for a drive and then hopefully you will be able to get the bolts loosened.
Next WD4O on the metal brackets in the rubber mounts. Using a square shanked screwdriver lever the 5 rubber mounts almost off.

Depending on your situation - taking the van to a pre-arranged garage make sure you refit the rubber mounts properly and re-tighten the 2 14mm manifold bolts.
If you have someone coming to you remove the whole exhaust and give it a good inspection. I expect the Cat will be in good condition. They don't very often rust right through.
The silencer is a different matter. But depends how good your Welder is. I have rarely found one that I can't weld up.
Failing all that you can buy a brand new system from Neil Farrier at Regis Exhausts on
07906 860717. Tell him that Woody put you onto him and that you are a new member on the Forum.

Hope that helps you out. If you need more info or Used Spare Parts then let me know on here or at :
thehijetmaniow@gmail.com
Woodie
Jet Addict

http://thehijetmaniow@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 pm

First of all Steve welcome to the Asylum. Another Haggis Haggler I see. You'll never beat Logi for bargains, but if you have a quarter of his sense of humour you will fit in just nicely.

Your first job is to remove the rusty heat shield that isn't really needed and see what kind of condition the actual Cat is in. I expect it will be fine.  Have you got a friend who has a Mig Welder or a garage you can trust. From your pictures it looks like you have a hole just behind the exhaust Flange. Easy enough to repair, preferably with the exhaust dropped down. Piece of cake to remove. Just the two 14mm bolts with the tension springs. Try slackening off both bolts cold. If they present too much resistance then take the van for a drive and then hopefully you will be able to get the bolts loosened.
Next WD4O on the metal brackets in the rubber mounts. Using a square shanked screwdriver lever the 5 rubber mounts almost off.

Depending on your situation - taking the van to a pre-arranged garage make sure you refit the rubber mounts properly and re-tighten the 2 14mm manifold bolts.
If you have someone coming to you remove the whole exhaust and give it a good inspection. I expect the Cat will be in good condition. They don't very often rust right through.
The silencer is a different matter. But depends how good your Welder is. I have rarely found one that I can't weld up.
Failing all that you can buy a brand new system from Neil Farrier at Regis Exhausts on
07906 860717. Tell him that Woody put you onto him and that you are a new member on the Forum.

Hope that helps you out. If you need more info or Used Spare Parts then let me know on here or at :
thehijetmaniow@gmail.com
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:15 am

Welcome to the mad house, as you hav sen Weooi technical forum skills at posting are....improving but his hijet knowl3dge I second to none. I agree with his comment about Regis exhausts though, I had excellent service from him. Look forward to you further posts then we can assess your IT skills on posing pictures. Bet check the whole system as I found out they can develop holes when least expected.
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Hello there Smile
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi Very Happy .

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:38 am

welcome Smile
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by stevesubscription on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:24 pm

Sorry for the slow response - this week I spent all my time attending to another form of 'cat'. The four legged, feline variety! Things tend to happen in twos.

Firstly, Thanks Woodie! - Having followed your instructions I took off my exhaust silencer, and low and behold several holes although surprisingly none where you had first mentioned. I'm going to get in touch with Neil about a new one, I think probably best considering time until M.O.T plus the cost of getting it welded up and the state it is in.

In regards to the Cat(alytic converter) - seems promising, so maybe i'll maybe just repair the cover sometime this week, if possible.

I had planned to attach a few pictures tonight - but I can't find my USB SD Card reader - so for the time being you'll all have to imagine what a rusty, holey exhaust pipe looks like... (not hard I'm sure)

stevesubscription

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:06 pm

Don't bother about the Cat heat shield. You have the full length one directly above the exhaust system protecting the brake cables, fuel pipe and filter and the brake pipes run down the inside of the offside chassis rail above the petrol tank so no worries there with either issues - unless your large heat shield isn't as good as mine.
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by stevesubscription on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:46 am

One rusty exhaust, New one came a few days ago and I think I am going to fit it today!

Also here is a wee pic of the camper progress.

stevesubscription

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:04 pm

Where?
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by stevesubscription on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Sorry I maybe didn't make the photograph clear enough - It's a pretty shite camera

stevesubscription

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:09 pm

Yes, so is the exhaust. Definitely totally exhausted.
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:04 pm

Thanks, the photos didn’t show up first time I looked but OK now. Mine went exactly same way last year while on holiday in Isle of Wight (although it would have been going before this).
Hope it fits OK.
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by stevesubscription on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:06 pm

Thanks Woodie and Raggy for the help / words of encouragement!

Do you guys know what size the spring and bolt is on the exhaust manifold? ( The ones in the first picture that I uploaded at the start of this thread) - would be nice to get some shiny new ones. Mine feel close to rounding off.

Thanks, Steve
stevesubscription

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:24 pm

I have no idea on that as mine is a 993 and does not use those springs.
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:15 am

Hi Steve. The bolts are shouldered ones of a set length. You could try ATS or a major Exhaust Chain. They ought to have something suitable.

I will put up a picture later with the measurements.
Failing that a piece of metal pipe as a sleeve on a normal threaded bolt to act as a shoulder.

Using this method if your springs are a bit weak you can make the pipe a little shorter and the head of the bolt goes further down tensioning the springs more.
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:24 pm

The Springs are 42mm long and the distance between the two shoulders is the same. With a new wire mesh Conical seal on the exhaust manifold seating the springs compress the exhaust pipe onto the mesh seal. The spring at the top of the pictures is a Stainless Steel one and the other one mild steel.

Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by stevesubscription on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:06 pm

Thank you Woodie - a true hero! Some very sound advice.

I've found some bolts that should hopefully do the job - I'll be back under the van come.. spring..
stevesubscription

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:04 pm

WHAT?? SPRING?? Is that a Pun or you being a Woose?? All my work to find a couple bolts - the springs were easy to find, but a couple of bolts that needed tidying up considerably out in the freezing cold risking life and limb with a rotary wire brush,, file and Emery paper.

And you weren't going to do it until the Spring. Blimey, youth of today - hopeless. Good job I have got a wicked sense of humour eh Steve. I have an even bigger bore Stainless Steel Exhaust System I started making over two years ago before my strokes. I have found all the bits of the whole homemade system last week. I now have a 270amp Oxford  Industrial Welder so IN THE SPRING when it is warmer ( woos)
I have got a gorgeous sounding complete Stainless Steel Exhaust System I may well decide to sell it.

Last edited by Woodie on Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by stevesubscription on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:31 pm

That sounds a wicked exhaust. I bet it's handy owning a welder - we had a Clarke 270 in our metal workshop at the art school. Shame they didn't loan it out..

Sorry I now realise that pun was two fold - in reference to the weather and the metal tensioning device.
I'm hoping to have it fixed for its M.O.T on Tuesday!

stevesubscription

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:02 pm

Then I think that you would appreciate my 270Amp Oxford Industrial Mig Welder then.
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:10 pm

I've even built it's own garage under my work bench.
Woodie
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by stevesubscription on Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:37 pm

Woody, You have a very nice welder that is for sure!

Sorry I've been gone for so long - here is a quick sum up/excuses.

Having taken off the exhaust/catalytic unit from underneath the Hijet I realised the bolts connecting to the manifold , (the ones that Woody measured, photographed and uploaded to the site) were in a state as were the other 14mm bolts that connect at the Cat/exhaust gasket. One step forward - Two steps back.

I only had until the next day to find new bolts and fit as it was M.O.T day.

The bolts on the gasket were easy, had loads of choice from bits and bobs lying around the garage.
Next to try and replace the spring bolts.

I didn't have any bolts with a similar thread so... I drilled the holes in the manifold just slightly bigger a decision I may regret sooner rather than later and managed to fit 2 new M12 bolts with washers, springs and a nut at the back to secure in place.

After battling the wind and rain - and the "siberian snow" - The very next morning I dropped the van off at the garage for the MOT.

AND

2 Hours later it passed, no advisory.

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone for contributing, helping and giving me momentum to work on.
Nice to know you guys are always willing to help!

stevesubscription

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Well done - getting the MoT no advisories is great.
Jon
kernowjon01
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Those nuts on the bolts now drilled through the flange, if they are ordinary nuts you may well end up in trouble as if the springs flex they will loose tension on the nut and 5he nut come loose. You need some mechanical locking nuts (not nylocks due to heat). Something like these which lock to the threads and it won’t mind if tension is lost, just my opinion.

Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by stevesubscription on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:40 pm

Raggy, Thank you!

I had my suspicions - it all seemed too good to be true. Your a kind person for advising on those nuts
I shall order some in the coming days.

Merci Beaucoup
stevesubscription

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum