Hi from Cornwall

Go down

Hi from Cornwall

Post by kernowjon01 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:38 am

Hi to introduce myself. I am Jon from Cornwall. My truck is a 2001 HiJet pick-up with a Romahome demountable pod on the back - The pod is older than the truck - mid 80's, so I guess originally fitted to a Honda Acty.
The HiJet has 79K on the clock. I service it reguarly - new filters, new plugs and oil changes every 6 months. Body wise the front was customised by Steve Deacon at Style_A_Van so it now has a VW Dub look.
Most of the time and money has been spent on the pod as this will outlast any truck.
Here is a photo of the van.

kernowjon01
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi from Cornwall

Post by kernowjon01 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:45 am

Just to say this is the only pic I can upload until I have downsized some photos.
The van has a 110amp/hour Leisure battery mounted in a custom built carrier on the offside of the chassis, on the roof a 100w solar panel.
In April with my partner and the dog we will be going LandsEnd to John O' Groats, The Lizard to Dunnets Head and following the coast of Scotland - up the east coast and down the west coast.

Jon
kernowjon01
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by scotia on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:19 pm

looks great, love the round lights.
scotia
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Excellent, great to hear others travelling around in their hijet. Scotland was our first big trip, been back to east coast since and the IOW. Back to IOW again in July but first to Looe in Cornwall in May. Nice looking van. How useful do you think the solar panel is? Did you fit it yourself? Keep the posts and pics comming.
As for the light...no idea!...but someone did have a similar issue and it was a sensor getting sooted up, a good burn up the road apparently sorted it out. An OBD reader will help narrow it down.
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:36 pm

Re Solar Panel - it works well. It is absolutely essential as we usually wild camp - why pay for what you can get for free. When I was in Scotland the only thing I paid for was a Loch Lomond Camping permit £3 per night. I am a bit of an insomniac so often read at night - even so the battery never dropped below 12v - it was peaking full charge 14v.

I have fitted a 12v compressor fridge (average consumption under 1 amp per hour) IMHO better and safer than gas electric Only in the middle of winter does the battery need a boost about once a week.
The van is our sole vehicle - so most days some engine charge, even if only a 5 minute run to supermarket.

We also have 2 LED clusters (36 LED in each) which replace the strip lights, a Shureflo water pump, and an inverter to power up a 45w heater when we need to take the chill off.

Re ScotlandI forgot to say the EML goes out when I am doing long Motorway journeys - someone suggested it was the Oxygen Sensor in the exhaust coked up?????

Jon
kernowjon01
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:35 pm

Looks great, look forward to seing some inside pictures
elfin girl
Cinquecento

https://www.facebook.com/bydonellamarie

Back to top Go down