What are the odds?

Go down

What are the odds?

Post by PFM on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:31 pm

So the petrol tank on my '08 Porter became incontinent last month at what I consider to be a very early age. Straight on the 'phone to Woodie, but the Wight Wonder had very inconsiderately sold his last one to A. N. Other, though he did try and find me another one. A breakers on Ebay came to the rescue (though I'm not totally sure how long this one will last).

Before fitting it, I checked the resistance of the old and 'new' pump and sender unit. Pumps gave equal resistance so I left it in as the bolts looked a bit rusty, but the 'new' sender was obviously duff, and on removal it's bottom was missing. Yup, totally gone, not even in the bottom of the tank. Swopped sender over and fitted the tank, added 4l of fuel. Van wouldn't start. Eventually I dropped the tank and switched pumps - fired up straight away, and fuel gauge registered low level with warning light on.

Drove to garage, added 10l just to check the tank cautiously, all good and warning light off. Eventually I felt brave enough to brim the tank, all good. When the gauge registered about half, though, it started losing power - then it would perk up - then stutter. After about 2-3 miles of repeating this behaviour (and this during my busiest week of the year!) this it gave up. Completely. Much head-scratching and checking of connections above rear axle (safely parked but on a busy road). Got wife to pick me up.

Half an hour later, whilst belatedly at a restaurant with family, I started to mistrust everything and when I got home I checked the mileage since brimming the tank. 218 miles. Early morning start with a fuel can got it running, and gauge worked fine. About 200 miles later it started nagging me to re-fuel, which I did. Next time though the needle remained around halfway after 180 miles - and this time when I filled up it hardly moved. Not gonna trust it in the near future.

My question is, how could moving the sender from one tank to another make it behave like a petulant 5yo?

Joyous day planned for tomorrow - changing the thermostat on my '02 van in case that's what's making it intermittantly overheat.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the odds?

Post by Raggy on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 am

Any crud in the sender tube causing it to catch?
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:49 am

I have no clue! It's possible, but am not really tempted to drop the tank again to find out.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum