She's got no spark

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: She's got no spark

Post by HighlyJetted on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:23 pm

Where the tensioner bolt thread hole is you may find its the oil pump casing, or the water pump maybe? I'm really not sure as I haven't been down there in these engines yet. This is what helicoils are for though:-

Only a crystal ball, a leakdown test or a stripdown will give you hints at what you've damaged. I'd recomend the leak down test first if your crystal ball is a bit misty.

Damage wise with valves, its the valve stem that takes the bend. This causes the valve guide to get worn away. e.g. if you imagine a biro pen, and you take the inner out and bend it, then slip it in and out of the biro outer - it will rub the sides. This shags the valve guide thus causing even worse valve sealing and smoke from it burning oil that slips down the valve guide. Valve guides can be swapped but its a head rebuild job.

On my daily runabout cars, in situations like this I tend to get all the miles I can out of the motor, and not throw money and effort at it. My civic uses a bit of oil, don't know why, I just make sure it's kept topped up. One of my cam followers is shagged too and rattles when its cold pretty bad, so I just go easy on the old girl, and try not to rev it over 6k too often.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by large519 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:28 pm

Not on the water pump housing so must be the oil pump, i'll look into it further before I make any decisions on what to do with it, I put some thread lock in there to help also, I was thinking along the lines of using helicoil's, but v awkward to get a drill down there whilst in the van, to drill out and retap, probably just easier to remove and put the spare on I have. Took her out for a spin today, and she drives quite well, the throttle has a little bit of lag to it, pos due to slight loss in compression, but generally am quite happy with how she runs, new cone filter makes it sound v throaty.
large519
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi we had the bearing fail in the cam tensioner and it bent both the valves on the rear cylinder but as I drove it the three miles home I wasn't suprised the contact is minimal with the piston and I couldn't find a witness mark without hinting for it and the valves were bent out side the guide as the guide is a fair way up the stem. I did a compression test to find out which cylinder it was and then did the closed valves (head off) and wd40 down the holes to see which was leaking as it turned out it was both.

There is no point in putting thread loc on a engine it doen't hold hot we use a mega strong green type thread loc to hold the main retaining nut on in our mono shocks at work and a minute of a paint stripper heat gun and you can undo the nut without much difficulty.

A trick I use on stripped threads is to wind a stud in in place right down to the bottom of the hole and the use a nut and washer, the mounting for the dizzy on ours has three out of four like this.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top