Tempted...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tempted...

Post by Mogs on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi. Newbie here...

Tempted to purchase a Hijetta 97 camper conversion.

Does anyone here have any comments about them please?

Mogs

Back to top Go down

Re: Tempted...

Post by Logi on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi, go for it Very Happy
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Mogs on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:19 pm

Ah, temptation in the form of the devil himself. As if I need it. Hello Logi Very Happy

The object of my temptation doesn't look too bad for her years....probably better than I do.......BUT can you tell me what constitutes "normal" overheating for the Hijet? Is needing to stop after eighty miles to let her cool off for a while reasonable or should I be concerned?

Mogs

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi. It can be if not bleed properly you can get a air pocket ours the other day did about that and the needle was just about to go into the red and then it suddenly dropped and stayed ok later when it had cooled off fully it needed about half a litre of coolant but if you find it bubbles through the coolant then the head gasket has gone. I have changed the head gasket on ours five times in total for various reasons but fingers crossed it seems to be fine now but it did need a skim.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:02 pm

TBH mine's has never been close to overheating, and it's currently well over 100,000 miles, but i think the smaller engines it's obligatory Rolling Eyes

They're really crap build quality, and have many inherant problems, but i'm just about to start a "Sooty Van Crisis" restoration thread(though more of a weldathon to get another MOT than a full blown resto) I'd be better off with many other vans but once you get one you'll put up with the probs, cos they're magic!! cheers
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:11 pm

I'm still getting over the fact that ours passed with no probs Very Happy
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Mogs on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:09 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Rich, I have been told that this particular van overheats around the eighty mile mark but just needs topping up with water. Apparently "nothing leaks out"....?? Not sure what that might mean. I have already confessed that I know little about engines but I do know that head gaskets are expensive - especially with labour charges as well.

Logi, I'm sure that I would be smitten - I already am whilst admiring at a distance- but I am concerned that keeping one on the road might prove to be a liability for someone like myself who is unskilled. For many decades I owned a classic car but eventually I had to wave goodbye to her as rust became a continual problem and I don't possess a mig Laughing Yes, it is only a 1litre engine so I guess from what you say that I should expect to keep her cool and drive her gently!

This particular van has bubbling (rust) underneath one of the windows but otherwise only spots. Very basic conversion....no leccy (is that difficult to install?) but still room enough to take bags of junk down to the tip!

Why are they called "Sooty" vans?

Mogs

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:22 am

if it needs topping up, but nothing drips out....then it sounds like the head gasket is leaking.......

if you can find someone near you with a hijet on this forum, I dare say they might be able to help replace the head gasket.......

I believe its a fiddly job more than difficult......

My 1.0L I had popped its head gasket....
I poured a tub of K seal into the system, and it was fine then Smile

just leave the heater temperature on hot permanantly (it then works as a second radiator)

mine was fine like that for a few thousand miles (I didnt exactly treat mine well, as I knew it wouldn't pass its next MOT!)

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mogs on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:34 pm

Thanks Difflock

I have had a quick scout around and it looks like six to seven hundred pounds for a garage to replace it
and I'm assuming that will be with a recon head gasket.............?

I found a site is advertising a product called steel seal. Is that the same sort of product as K seal?

Mogs

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:17 pm

It's similar, and gives a money-back guarantee. I recently used it on one of my Hijets and it's helped, cutting the water loss dramatically, but it still looses some. From what I hear, it's most effective if you use it early rather than driving for a few months with a leaking gasket.

Oh, and I've never heard of a recon head gasket btw - wouldn't be any point. If you're going to the expense or putting in the hours to do the job you'd be mad not to fit a new one.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Mogs on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:55 pm

Thanks PFM,from what I understand, she's been driven for the past six months like this already... Rolling Eyes

I assumed the head gasket would have to be recon as I thought it was diffcult to obtain new parts for the Hijet now. Quite agree a new one would be better...but the cost of replacement is making me wonder if she's a viable prospect.... Crying or Very sad

Mogs

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:21 pm

I've not found anything yet that's not available. New head gasket sets are available on Ebay and from main dealers (£113 + V.A.T. there though) and probably from factors too. If you've the time and the capability to to the job yourself it's definately viable. The quote I had from my local independant garage was £621 inc VAT including timing belt, oil + filter, antifreeze & thermostat, with 6 hours labour. Might be worth doing the water pump at the same time. If the head needs skimming, that would probably be an extra £30 to £50.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:00 pm

You don't need a head gasket set if there are no other problems just get a tube of blue hylamar which is about a fiver and you can order the head gasket on it's own from jap parts for about £25 or from ebay for a little less but the garage won't just fit that although they proberly wouldn't use all the bits in the set, where abouts in the country are you? and there are a few ways of fitting leccy just depends on which way you want it.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Mogs on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:46 pm

PFM, it's good to know that parts are still available but unfortunately I am far from capable of fitting anything myself...you all sound remarkably clever here ....and I am feeling a total dipstick! rabbit

Rich, I have PMd you.

Mogs

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie on Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:12 am

Mogs wrote:PFM, I am far from capable of fitting anything myself...you all sound remarkably clever here ....and I am feeling a total dipstick! rabbit

Rich, I have PMd you.

Mogs,
Don't worry mate, I know what you mean......your not on your own confused

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:13 am

I think most of the people on here started off with no knowledge!

but asking questions, and reading the service manual tends to be a huge help Cool

(of course there are a few of us who are a little more experienced with engines/vehicles :p)

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:27 am

Sounds like definite head gasket to me. Unless its very cheap i'd probably look else where if you don't think you can tackle it yourself. Hijets are great little vans but one thing to remember is parts are very expensive and there's limited non genuine options available. Also they are hard to find in Scrapyards as most get exported.

I'd take your time and look for the best possible one you can find. One fitted with LPG is a bonus too as it makes them a lot more economical.
My 1.3 does under 30mpg on petrol but around 50mpg (equivalent) on gas.

Fuel Gauge and speedo are also common things to go so make sure they work.
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mogs on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:13 pm

Apologies for my absence after all your helpful comments - my PC died, followed by some personal emergencies which had to take priority.

Oldie, your words make me feel better thank you. Is ignorance shared ignorance halved? Smile

Difflock, I am fine at asking questions - my problem is understanding the technical answers Wink

8bit-ash, thank you for your comments, all worthy of consideration and appreciated.

Mogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top