Petrol pump

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Petrol pump

Post by kavekom on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:03 am

Hey!
I've been having trouble with petrol coming from the the filler cap. I have a 1989 Hijet van, 993. I have traced all the lines to make sure they a clear, replaced the filler neck, assuming the small flap was allowing petrol to pass, but no difference. To an unrelated matter yesterday, the van just stopped for no reason. It turned over fine but no spark, in my attempt to elimate causes I proceeded to remove the return line from the carby to check that fuel was getting there. The fuel shot out like it was the Burrenjuck Dam. This lead me to believe that maybe the after market electric fuel pump I installed was to powerful creating pressure in the tank thus forcing fuel from the petrol cap. I made enquiries and discovered that this pump puts out 5-7lb. Now after that long winded story, would anyone know what pressure should be going into the carby? Please.
By the way the fault that stopped the van was a set of broken points
Any help very much appreciated as we don't run many Hijets down here in Tasmania.
Kavekom

kavekom

Back to top Go down

Re: Petrol pump

Post by Logi on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:33 am

Leaky fuel cap? Would be my guess that you notice it when the tanks full? Mines leaks out when its full, cant park downhill(noticed that at the tip...)
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:34 pm

the manuel says 20 +/- 2 kPa which works out about 2.9 PSI so the pump is well over rated either needs a regulator or open up the restriction in the return pipe so more fuel returns but either way you should not be getting fuel out the cap unless the vent is blocked and the air is not flowing properly but with all the emission control I don't know, Hijets are the only thing I have ever seen with a tank pressure everything else vents both ways.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Petrol pump

Post by kavekom on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:49 am

Thanks Rich the for that info. Today I replaced the pump with a 2-4lb rate. Immediately it drives better and, fingers crossed, no sign of fuel from the cap. As for the emission control, the previous owner had it removed. All that is coming from the tank is the outlet to the pump, the return line and a overflow hose from the filler neck.

kavekom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top