lowering the jet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

lowering the jet

Post by bones 851 on Wed May 23, 2012 12:14 am

hi kolks i am plannning to lower the rear end of the jet, im sure i saw some pics on the site of it being done,,has any one done this . or does anybody know which topic they are in cheers bones.... Cool
bones 851
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Re: lowering the jet

Post by 8bit-ash on Wed May 23, 2012 7:30 am

Just take out the overload spring from the leaf pack if you want to lower it a little bit. Improved the ride no end on mine. I ended up making a jig like this clicky and reversed the spring eyes. Its now not a very good ride and bottoms out so I need to do something about it. Theres also a place in birmingham that properly resets, decambers, reverses springs for very reasonable prices.
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Wed May 23, 2012 9:56 am

Nice link Ash, really enjoyed reading that lot Smile I love the old stuff so much.

To be my typical skeptical self, I think by rebending the spring in such a manor you are work hardening the steel which would result in an increase in its brittleness and decrease its elasticity, which is really not a good thing for a spring. But I would say that doing it with the press will be loads better than doing it with a hammer, every time you smack it with a hammer you are creating uneven hard spots which would be the starting point of a failure, while the press gently and evenly warps the material to the new shape.

Surely the best option would be to swap the setup from being a spring over axle to being an axle over spring setup, which would drop it by approximately 130mm, and if you wanted it lower you could just add some sandwich blocks. This would also keep the load carrying ability of the spring setup. Removing those extra leafs also allow the axle to twist more under acceleration and heavy braking, which is definately not a good thing. I am looking at either adding more leafs into mine, or converting it to a trailing arm coilover setup because I would like to pump twice the horsepower and torque through the rear axle, and the last thing I want to do is snap the springs.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Wed May 23, 2012 10:16 am

You'd be fine flipping the axle on a pickup but theres not enough room to do it on a van without notching the chassis. I only really did it to mine with the press to see if you can realistically lower a van. I've got a spare set I plan on taking to the guy in Birmingham to have done properly.
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Wed May 23, 2012 10:31 am

No probs lowering mine
Before

After

You just need one of these Wink

Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Wed May 23, 2012 11:01 am

If you heat a metal to it recrystallisation temperature, normally 0.3 to 0.5 of its melting point you can rebuild the grain structure which work hardening alters. Iron has a melting point of 1356 kelvin and a recrystallisation temp of 473 kelvin.

By heating the spring to the recrystallisation point and cooling it slowly you can create a structure with large grain size which is probably what a proper spring workshop does.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Wed May 23, 2012 11:09 am

HighlyJetted wrote:If you heat a metal to it recrystallisation temperature, normally 0.3 to 0.5 of its melting point you can rebuild the grain structure which work hardening alters. Iron has a melting point of 1356 kelvin and a recrystallisation temp of 473 kelvin.

By heating the spring to the recrystallisation point and cooling it slowly you can create a structure with large grain size which is probably what a proper spring workshop does.

You might be right they had lots of hot stuff there. Was this place - http://www.jones-springs.co.uk/
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

lowering the jet

Post by bones 851 on Wed May 23, 2012 6:32 pm

thanks very much guys, will let my mech friend read over the ideas, nice on logi!!!!, when i saw the first 2 pictures i thouight yes thats what i want, however the last pic yeah well funny..... bones Rolling Eyes
bones 851
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Wed May 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Here's some (photoshopped) inspiration for ye

Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

lowering the jet

Post by bones 851 on Wed May 23, 2012 9:14 pm

i have no problem with front of the jet, but last year i broke aleaf spring, and after replacing it even with a second hand spring, the rear end sits way high, when i look at other jet pictures the always seem so level,dam Evil or Very Mad
bones 851
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Wed May 23, 2012 10:49 pm

The jig for bending the spring is called scragging we have a setup at work for compressing the springs safely to full compression by repeating it you can decrease the free length which reduces preload a coil spring and a leaf spring work exactly the same just have different fits and the leaf springs banded together can create a combined multi rate setup hence the use in commercial vehicles.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Brunri on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:21 pm

Hello, I've got a Daihatsu 1000 cab s70 1984 and I don't know how to lower it. In the back I'll go with putting the axle above the leaf springs, but I don't know what to do in the front.. Pleas help me.
Brunri

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:48 am

Hello Brunri.  Where abouts in the world are you?  Difficult to tell from your Avatar.  South America perhaps?

One of our members did a superb article on lowering the front end. Whether you have access to the parts and the skills and necessary tools and facilities is another matter.

If you tap on Members  at the top of the page it will take you to the Numerically numbered lists by dates of members last Posts.
There are 50 members per page. In the bottom right corner of the page  is the list of page numbers. Go to page 5 and Member listing number 219 - - 8bit-ash. Tap on the Avatar of his red Hi-Jet and it will take you to his Profile. Tap on Statistics and go to Topics. 4th one down is : Find all Topics where 8bit-ash has posted.  Tap on that.  Look down the page to  :  my hi-jet  project . It was posted on Saturday April 14th. 2012.
There you will find most of what you would like to know. A superb article by Ash.
Having told you all that, the easiest way to find all that is to tap on the Avatar of 8bit-ash further back up the page, but at least the aforementioned details will help you to find your way around this Forum Very Happy Cool

Let us all know what you think and what your plans are for  doing this work and how you get on.  Best of luck Brunri...  Woody.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brunri on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:12 am

I live in the north of Sweden in Umeå. Thank you for your response! I've been lurking around this forum and I've seen 8bits topics. The thing is I have a different set of coilovers with the three bolts in the bottom and I haven't found anything looking like mine
Brunri

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:54 pm

That is not going to be easy to find then for your earlier model. I don't know much about the earlier models. But an 84 model over here would have been an 850 I think.
A friend of mine had an 850 Pickup for years. The body and sides were smaller too.
But that doesn't help you. I think one or two members on here know more about them. I think that you will have to keep trying on here and try other Forums both in the UK and on the Continent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brunri on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:20 pm

I'll find a solution!
Brunri

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:00 pm

I feel sure you will.  cheers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content