I got one!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I got one!

Post by bwms on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:23 pm

I got one! ( well kinda . . . )

I saw three Suzuki Carrys today.

First was from a dealer (Evans Halshaw). Part exchange that they thought was too good to go to auction. Their mechanics did some work to it as recommended on MOT. Drove well but needed brake discs, they shuddered something rotten on even light breaking. Needed fair bit of rust removal along sills and wheel arches. Pretty scratched and well used inside. I would have had it if they agreed to a bit of cash off. They weren't interested in me taking it off their hands so I walked away. Would have been good to have backup of a big motor firm.

Second was cheap and old. The guy selling wasn't there but said I could go look in his yard. Tired little van with 50k miles?!?!. No wonder, it had more than a years worth of moss growing on it. Advert said it would be MOT'd for buyer . . . I think not.

So. Last one was older than first but more expensive. Paint work better although has had new wing at some stage. Horrid seat covers, carpet scraps mats and carpet in back. But, under these it was good. Exhaust has been botched but doesn't blow. Needs arches and sills ground/undercoated/painted (in my eyes anyway). History for service is non existant but owner history favorable.

I came to you guys looking for a Hijet pickup and have now put deposit on Carry panel van lol. I always wanted a Carry. I'm a doctor who deals with trauma and when I first sat in a Hijet, the lack of forward crumple zone freaked me out. I don't know if the suzuki empty bonnet is much cop but I didn't feel so vunerable.

So, on a saturday night, I am looking forward to sitting down and surfing for hours for tinkering bits I might need (I am not that old but very very sad Laughing )

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Do I have to leave this thread now?

White van, basalt black paint job to match my Cayman possible?

YAY!
bwms
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Re: I got one!

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Oh you traitor! Good job there is the other micro vans section.

Post up some pictures of it, underneath, under the bonnet, interior... the lot

What engine is it?

Is it yours as a work horse, toy or what?
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by bwms on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Ah hahaha. You guys are the best "post pictures, everything!"

I love the fact I drive a Porsche, have a microvan fetish and you guys get as excited as I am ! !

I'm going to conference tomorrow until thursday. I hope to pick up the van next sat. Maybe friday if I can get away and the chap does the work he agreed to.

It's kinda a bit of everything for me. Have always wanted one so kinda a project to tinker with. I also need to stop piling the mileage on my Cayman. I'll be doing 140 miles a day for the foreseeable future, if the van's up to it, that would be a plug to the drain on my cash that is a german sportscar.

So excited.
bwms
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:56 pm

Saves cash plus you wouldn't look like a right cock end in the super carry....

oh wait hmmmm? >>>>>
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:08 pm

It does say micro van owners at the top so I think your ok on that front and as for tinkering bits the Carry has 100mm PCD wheels so you have a world of choice of different wheels if you want to change them unlike us hijet owners Exclamation
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:22 pm

Wonder what engine is in them? Bet is the same as a suzuki swift or something with a bit of a lean over conversion.

I nearly bought a carry originally, but I forgot all about wanting a micro van, then Jen brought home a freebie paper from work one day and while I was eating my tea I opened up this paper to a random page and this little advert just shone at me. Hijet MPV 21k T reg, £650. Dropped my fork and picked up the phone. Bought it a few hours later.

Some may say it was destiny?
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by bwms on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:44 pm

Carry engine is below passenger seat as usual.

Looks the same as that in my old Suzuki Jimny, 16v OHC (I'm hoping that means I'll know my way round it). Van has 83k miles and I've no idea if belt has been done.

My local independant parts shop is good at putting together service packs for me. Prob not the cheapest but makes ya feel good to support them and they will go the extra mile to get you things even if they don't stock them.

bwms
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:30 pm

You'll regret not buying a Hijet first time you want to put a motorbike in the back. Wink
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by bwms on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:56 pm

Logi, me da's thinking of giving up born again biking. His 883 might need a good home with a good son. You could be right in your prediction. Thing is, I really hope you are Very Happy
bwms
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum