newbie in Papua New Guinea

View previous topic View next topic Go down

newbie in Papua New Guinea

Post by Junglebiker on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:21 am

Hi! I'm an American motorcycle mechanic, currently living and working in the highlands of Papua New Guinea. I work in a shop that also fixes cars, trucks, etc. and another of my jobs is finding information for things we work on. One of our regular customers has a Japanese domestic market Hijet with the 3 cylinder 660 engine in it, so I'm here primarily to find info for the times when we work on that.

Thanks!

Junglebiker

Back to top Go down

Re: newbie in Papua New Guinea

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:03 am

Hello and welcome,

Hope you find what you need,

I'd love to visit Papua NG one day,

Matt
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Junglebiker on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:58 am

Yeah, it's not an easy place to get to--a friend of my wife's from Surrey, (my wife in from Norf London), was just over on her way to Australia and was amazed at what she had to go through with vaccinations, paperwork, insurance, etc.

Junglebiker

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:17 am

I've always fancied going to Australia the long way as I have friends over there who ask me to visit,

Out of interest how did your friends wife get to PNG and how did she then go on to Australia? Can you get to Auz by boat?
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Junglebiker on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:22 am

She flew the whole way--I forget her whole route, but she came into Pt. Moresby, (PNG) from Singapore, then flew in a small missionary plane from there to where we are. On her way out she flew back out in a small plane to Moresby, then flew commercial (jet) to Cairns, Aus.

Not many roads here, in fact there's no roads into or out of the capital, so you have to fly in one of the many small planes operating here, a lot of those run by missionary organisations. Where we live, there's a lot of dirt roads bounce and a few paved ones, like the Highlands Highway, which is a main artery through half of the country. The little Hijet mostly gets used just on dirt roads in the immediate area, though I fancy it would do alright on a road trip to Lae on the coast as long as you managed to avoid the Hijet-sized potholes. Laughing

Junglebiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top