mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!)

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!)

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:20 am

This may not be the most encouraging of comment but I keep hearing and reading lots of bad stuff about Quinton Hazel (QH) parts, I know someone who fitted one of their clutch kits recently and it made the car vibrate, so the stripped it back down and it wasn't riveted together properly. It's cheap copy motor factor stuff at the end of the day.

Before I fit any thermostat I always test them in a pan of water with a thermometer, and what I should do is test them 4 or 5 times to be sure they work nice.

Removed last comment as I'm not sure it applies
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: mechanics that are good with hi jets? (the answer to this is.... if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!)

Post by Logi on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:56 am

Finding QH rad cap doesnt fit as well as the other one, have ordered a Firstline one to compare. If its better ill post up the part number
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:21 pm

Well, did some driving around today and the extra seals on the rad caps seem to have reduced the problem, I got to Harlow with no increase in temp and no water pushed into expansion tank, the journey back made no increase in temp ther was a small about of water pushed into expansion tank and when I switched ignition off some bubbles pushed through, I think I can hear it being sucked in somewhere! I'm gonna have to get my head close to a different bit each time I switch off tilli find it!
Would be very interested to here your verdict on these other caps logi,

(when I say no temp increase i mean on the gauge, the water had warmed up as all the pipes were hot)
elfin girl
Cinquecento

https://www.facebook.com/bydonellamarie

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:34 pm

Looking at these "made in england" marked ones they don't fit quite right either.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:44 pm

None of the ones I found for sale so far are quite the right measurements, I had my micrometer out and checked the size of the one that was on the rad originally diameters and depth are all slightly bigger, unfortunately both seals are shot, it's on the dashboard at the mo but if I get time I'll post the measurements for it tommorow, might see if I can replace the seals efficiently with ones made out of my silicone cake case!

And I've just remembered I have a stethoscope somewhere, that might help with locating my air intake
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:59 pm

Hmm, so today it decided it was gonna overheat, it's definitely worse if I drive for a bit then stop for a bit then drive again then leave it ticking over!
Expansion tank nearly filled with water, then purging bubbles, the fan didn't kick in on tick over (after being driven) even though all pipes were really hot (I burnt my fingers on the pipe by the fan switch) left it to cool for about half hour water sucked back in (probably still about 100ml gap of air in expansion pipe but too hot to check) ill have a look when it's totally cooled
The water seems to be getting returned back to system more efficiently with the extra seals, still getting air sucked in tho, just can't work out where!
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:37 pm

The cap i ordered turned up, but its not the same as the one i got from Partco even though the Partco guy gave me the Firstline number Question

I'm looking into it further though Very Happy
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:19 pm

My red LPG one has something a bit funny going on with it, after running it across town to the petrol station then to the MOT station it has ended up with load of foam in the coolant system, like this:-

Plus it was hunting (where the idle speed goes up and down)

But it hadn't pushed excessive amounts of water to the header tank in typical head gasket style.

I have chemical block tested this again while it was foaming up and it seems clean.

I think the bubbles are caused by the water pump churning up water with a air in the pump (would explain why your hoses go cold if the pump ends up air locked) to make a nice fine foam. And I also think that I bled everything really well previously except for the water feed to the throttle body which may cause the hunting.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bushes in my water pump are leaking.

So my plan of action is to get it to the MOT retest by the end of the week to get a pass on it so it can be road tested properly. Then I will drain all the coolant out of it, so I can pressure test it dry.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Funny that HJ I've got a pic I was gonna post of mine doing exactly that, I find it froths on short runs, have just done another block test and it shows no bad gasses,
Was going to post my cap measurements then when I went to check levels earlier found that my nice new QH cap was all wonky so have made new seals for the old cap and put that back on.... I forgot to take the measurements first! But a can assure you it is about 2mm deeper and the diameter of both seals are about 1mm bigger in diameter.... Not a lot but enough to be letting air through
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:34 pm

So, making headway on this thing,
all water had been sucked back into system this morning, sat with it idling for 15 mins before leaving for work, it only got to 1/4 temp, which is more what I'd expect with no thermostat, drove 5 mins to work, can still hear air being sucked in when I turn off ignition but it must be being sucked through a smaller gap cos its a whistle sound now! Did have to put a small amount of water in after work but I seem to be going in the right direction

Will be putting thermostat in on Monday
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:37 am

Damn it , it's fine on a strait run now, but can't cope with stoping and starting and getting stuck in traffic, when it gets hot I'm still losing heat in the cab, think I'm gonna have to take the dash off and have a look at the matrix and pipes under there, it's getting air in from somewhere so it's going to be a case of working my way through all the pipe connections I think, I'm getting pretty bored of this now, want it fixed by beg of nov I'm supposed to be camping in Cornwall in it!
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:03 am

Theres a lot of pages here which I haven't read through so all these suggestions have probably already been suggested but this is what i'd do -

First Bleed the system properly, I know this one will have been said a load of times but I found the best way was to make a tube with a funnel on top with a rubber bung that fitted in the filling hole under the seat. Once you've filled the front rad hole use the tube to make sure the system is fully bled by holding it higher than the matrix with the engine running and coolant filled up to the funnel.

Make sure there's no leaks anywhere once hot.

make sure the caps are good, easier said than done I know...Need to find someone with a tester ideally.

If you have LPG, bypass it from the coolant system.

Bypass the heater matrix or block it off with molegrips.

If it still overheats after doing these few things i'd honestly just take the head off and save a lot of hair pulling. I'd put a shiny pound on your problem being the head gasket all along.

tbh, if it were mine i'd just bleed it and bypass the heater matrix then get it hot and inspect the caps and all pipes for leakage. if I couldn't find a leak that would be enough for the head to come off.
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:00 pm

So did a bit of playing over the last hour, thought i'd practice what I preach:-

Then using a squirty bottle filled with a mix of water and washing up liquid, covered all the pipe joints etc and spotted this:-

Then found a cap which sealed nice and re-pressurised it to find this:-

Which you can see here from a different angle.

I've had the bumper off, and crawled around underneath it, squirted everything... now after fixing those two leaks I'm leaving it and watching the pressure gauge on the air pump to see how well it holds pressure. If it can hold 2 bar of air, it should be able to hold 0.9 bar of water easy.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:19 pm

That's interesting,
I'm sure there is still a bad seal on my cap but that is also the pipe I was suspicious of on mine,
I think the rad may be leaking now too :-/
Won't have time to do any more checks till Monday
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:24 pm

So it's been charged for 2 hours and lost nothing pressure wise... tomorrow I will refill it with a good strong anti freeze mix, bleed it up and see how it goes.

I would seriously recommend a pressure test like this, any decent engineer would do it to a car that has coolant system work carried out, otherwise how would you know if its going to hold the coolant. It test the caps too, which a normal testing kit cannot do as you test it with one of those funny caps.

Keep in mind that once the system is hot and under pressure, the pipes will be more flexible, so by over pressuring it dry with air, you are hedging your bets a bit when it comes to holding hot water.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:25 pm

so i didnt get all that i wanted done today,
i had driven it 16 miles and back on saturday, letting it cool for four hours in between, no problems getting there, temp remained at bottom, needed about an eggcup of water before leaving to come home, return journy temp got to about 1/8th purged about 1cm of water into exps tank, on switching off sucking sound and air bubbles into exps tank, next day needed about an egg cup of water. kept heater off on both journeys, top and bottom pipes were warm

today, water still full, had trouble starting it, made a few short journeys to walk dogs and go shopping, so not cooling down enough to check water level, on third short trip bubbles being pushed into expansion tank, drove 9 miles to garage with heater on, fine till 8th mile then sudden loss of hot air and temp needle starts to climb, got there just before it imploded! exps tank nearly full and many bubbles being released

let it cool a bit, most of the water sucked back into system, did a preasure test from exps pipe, from 15psi pressure droped to 11 in a few mins, started engine pressure increased back to 15psi... worrying, so onother block test from the radiator this time, it was actualy pushing the air throuhg the liquid! but after a few squeezes, no change in colour.

by now its running like shit, missfiring and seeming like its going to stall, switch over to gas and works a bit better

the flow through the rad looked good, then some gunky looking water was pushed out of that pipe that leaves from the top of the rad, seemed a bit odd, all seemd to be running fine withought the rad cap on so decided to butcher the cap so the water can flow freely (basicaly made it into a blank cap)

so primed the system put new 'butchered' cap on and ran it at tickover on gas worked fine untill got to 1/4 temp then missfireing, had to keep foot very slightly down on acclerator, got to just over 1/2 temp revs increased it stoppped missing and fan kicked in, fine for about a min then missfiring temp increases no fan kicking in and started purging water and bubbles into exps tank, switched off, sucked more air in, top and bottom pipes hot

get it up on the ramp, feeling the pipes underneath found a small pipe that goes from the biger pipe just above the drain plug to one of the medium sized pipes (to or from the heater matrix?) it was cold while the others were still hot, took it off, and found it totaly blocked with rust and crud, cleared it all out, used air gun thing to blast the crud out of the rubber and metal pipes, started feeling arround other pipes, found another smal pipe coming off the back of the engine to the throttle body... not just blocked, the inside of the pipe was bone dry! so more air blasted through, till the water flowed, blasted though the pipes leading to the heater matrix got a bit of rust out there too,

by now its late so basicaly put it all back together, primed the system and drove 11 miles home with heater on all way, temp remained low, air stayed warm, no extra water in exps tank but stoppped the engine and sucking air sound, lots of bubbles purged, this time like its got serious wind, a big long fart, then nothing, then sucking and a big long fart again, it did this 3 times before i decided i could be bothered to sit out there till it cooled down! it didnt misfire the whole way home either

i did try doing magic hands and stuff to see if that fixed it.... i dont think it worked,
this cap on the exps pipe is getting to be a real pain, none of them fit properly and extra seals havnt totaly got rid of the problem, if i cant stop it sucking air in im never gonna get anywhere with this

elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:24 pm

Have you checked that the over flow pipes are sealed to all the joints as if these are leaking then they will let air in on cool down. As for the mis fire it could be coincidence but if it continues I think it is head off time and a full check it could be a crack letting in air that won't show a block test failiure.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:03 am

gonna go through the pipes and reseal over the week hopefully, thats what i wanted to do today but ended up finding blockages that needed clearing that all took a bit longer than planned,
the hg is bothering me, just cant work out how it would be letting fresh air into the system intermitantly, i seem to be able to do some journeys with no bubbles being excpelled!
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Got yet another rad cap today for under the passenger seat, it looks to be a better fit than the others, will let you know how it does, still need to reseal some of these pipes, probably won't get time till the weekend now
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Slight improvement with new cap on exps pipe, have used a QH cap on the rad with 2 extra seals (to make up for the wear in the plastic flange)
Managed to do a few short trips encountering some traffic on each, sat with it ticking over when I got home and where it would normaly just get hotter and no fan kick in...... the fan kicked in cheers let it run till it had come on 3 times, still a few bubbles going into exps tank, will see how much water it has sucked back and how much air is left in the pipe later and tommorow will do the experiment in reverse to see what happens,
Oh, ands it's ticking over fine again now!
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Before I forget to mention it on our van I always have a small air gap when I check it even if it doesn't need a top up.
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:17 pm

rich the mechanic wrote:Before I forget to mention it on our van I always have a small air gap when I check it even if it doesn't need a top up.

handy to know thanks, i wont wory too much if thats the only problem im left with then Very Happy
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Ok so test driving went well today
, I let it get to temp and fan kick in before stopping it then driving to the river, left it for a bit, drove home let it idle again till fan kicked in, never left it long enough to cool down totally and got stuck in a bit of traffic both ways, no overheating, I'm sure there is some air in the exps pipe but I'm not going to mess about topping up, as I've just done another short trip with it like that and all fine, actually working better on tickover now and fan staying on for a bit longer which is how I remember it working before all this started!
gonna do longer trips tommorow see what happens then longer one on Monday
Keep your fingers crossed for me, if it has worked then I will start a new thread listing all the things that caused the problems so it's easy for people to find Smile
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by waz on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:21 pm

fingers crossed for you daisydon

Waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:26 pm

My latest headache is this:-

Is the air pocket there before it has cooled down?

Problem is, how do you find out while the system is under pressure.

I've been thinking about maybe some kind of moisture sensor probe. - although its a load of messing about - any ideas?

Second thing is, I wonder if the air pocket is bigger if there is more hardcore driving? This would show the gases come from the combustion process.

I also have this other cunning idea of putting on a non sprung cap (or modified original cap), then putting my hose clamp over the side exit pipe on the filling point, then after I take it for a good ragging - stop the engine, wait a minute or two for the foam etc to settle, then release the side exit pipe though my block tester.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:03 pm

So far today I have found that after filling system and a bit of a drive round there is an extra 2cm of water in exps tank, this is about 200ml of water, it doesn't seem to want to suck it back, but is running fine like that, today I haven't opened either cap but on previous experience I know that top pipe has air in.
Have been talking to a lot of mechanics in the area and the consensus is that some closed systems run like that, I personally can't get my head round it but so far it is working like that, the next couple of days should give me a better idea if this is gonna work!
I actually found that when I drove it (from cold) like a maniac the over heating was less of a problem, I could do a strait 16 mile journey with no excessive heat, no water purged into tank and no bubbles on stopping, if I did 16 miles and got stuck in traffic it went pear shaped! However if the engine had already warmed up a strait 16 miles at speed would also make it over heat, that's gonna be my test on Monday !
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:06 pm

In mine Im pretty sure now the air is there before its cooled, I think this it what the bubbles are when I stop
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Good luck, sounds hopeful Smile
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:56 pm

So..... Test runs were a fail! It lasts longer now, but that air is a problem, when it gets to temp and purges some water into exps tank it then sucks air in rather than the water back so each time the air gap just gets bigger, it's got to be coming in through a pipe somewhere, took it to my x's garage today, definite air leak in the T junction where it goes to LPG vaporiser, taken pipes off and think there is some crud in vaporiser andpipe going to hm so will flush that out, decided that I wanted to get to the heater matrix and make sure pipes are ok there...... Bloody hell that's not a simple job is it!? Have removed the dash, found a pencil and a stick and not as much dog hair as I expected, tommorow need to put it on the ramp to get the rad off as it seems there are bolts behind it that I need to remove to get the plastic housing away from the hm!
Was about to download some pics..... But my laptop has broken so doesn't look like I'll be doing that any time soon!
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Credit where credit's due, yer a tenacious wee bugger, i'd have given up by now. Smile
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top