The Climber (photos + infos on tacho on my 1.0i porter)

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Climber (photos + infos on tacho on my 1.0i porter)

Post by El_Ventu on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Today we tried to go uphill the Scanuppia, because we want to spend the New Year's day in the house of a friend of ours.
we put four snowchains on the "beast", and we tried to go up...
There are two big trees that break down because of the snow and ice of past days, but other people cutted it to allow the passing with his quads, we passed through the tiny path between the cutted trees and we tried to go up the steepest part of the street...we failed Very Happy

There is a layer of ice under the snow, and the porter can't go up, or better, I decided to not try, because I want to keep it running Very Happy
There are some traction problems in the trip, the street in that part reaches a gradient of over 30% and I decided to stop before we reach the 45% part (that is the part where I do THIS photo)...

A photo of the "beast" with the four snowchains and one in the downhill...(i'm on the left side of the photo, with grey jacket, the other guy in red one is my brother!)

PS:Tomorrow we try with some weight on it and with lowered pressure tires...today we tried with tires inflated to 2.2bar... Very Happy
If it can't go up, we will rent a "track wheelbarrow" like THIS

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:36 pm

Maybe this would do... Very Happy

Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:10 pm

For sure, I've seen it but if I remember it cost just a little more than I can spend for my Porter...

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:27 pm

El_Ventu wrote:

Loving the fro and the snow!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Done!
With about 400kg or more of stuff (beer, 14x pack of 24 can of 0.5l, 30l of wine, food for 25 people for 4 days, water, drinks, a LPG cylinder of 15kg to feed a patio heater and the patio heater too etc.), lowered pressure tires (1.8bar, yesterday they are inflated to three bar, not 2.2!) and the snowchain we done the challenge.

These photos was done HERE, in the small curve in the center of the map.

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:46 pm

El_Ventu wrote:14x pack of 24 can of 0.5l, 30l of wine, food for 25 people for 4 days,

I make that 3.3 cans and 2.4 glasses of wine pppd (per person per day) - I hope the others will be bringing some too!

Seriously though, I'm full of admiration for how you cope in the conditions and can get your jet to work in situations where we softies could hardly walk!

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:47 pm

I think we not consume all beverages, as well as beer and wine we took vodka, rum, brandy and some bottles of sparkling wine to greet the new year... Very Happy

There are some other people on the mountain in other houses in those days, then probabily we offer to someone some drinks, we believe it is better that there is something more rather than less.
The spirits do not expire quickly, we can take them home when we get back.

The Porter is a tough guy, the only one problem I heard it is that the gear of the 1st gear become a little noisy after the first kilometer of that road...
We stopped at half the hardest part to load some wrapped plastic sheets that my friend leave on the street yesterday (he tried to carry them up by foot...), and for a couple of minutes I allow the gearbox to be well lubricated positioning the HI-LO lever in the middle position, neutral, and making the engine running in 5th gear, with released clutch, at mid RPM.
The gear of the first gear probably can't be well lubricated on very steep road, it is positioned forward in the gearbox, and having also the transfer case that prolong the gearbox, oil goes all in the lower part.
Running in 5th gear allow oil to be splashed around in the gearbox.

I put in it some more oil than needed in july, when I replace the oil I lifted the back of about 20cm to put more oil, but it seems that is not enough to reach the first gear.

However, problem appears only after a long use of the 1st gear, and disappears when we pass the hardest part.

Normally I go up in 2nd gear with LO transfer case position and no strange sounds comes from the gearbox.

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Maybe overfill the gearbox oil?

I to am mighty impressed with how you and your hijet climb this mountain in the snow. A true credit to both owner and machine.

How well does the temperature stay down? Does the electric fan kick in alot? I guess you are reving it quite a lot with little forward speed. Maybe modify the grill with some openings to get more air though it?
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 pm

Yes, I overfill it lifting the back of 20cm...
But I can't put in two liter of oil more than the original (at now i have 1.2l more if I remember well), in straight road at high speed oil became foam...

Temperature stay down, fan kicks in AUTOMATICALLY only one time, but in the hardest part I turned it on with the switch to keep the engine cool... Very Happy

For all the climb I avoid to rev the engine over 3500-4000rpm.
We go up slowly, but I want to keep engine in good condition... Razz
I hate people that runs jets like motocross bikes like THOSE rednecks.

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:38 pm

El_Ventu wrote:
I hate people that runs jets like motocross bikes like THOSE rednecks.

Mine gets a good thrashing from time to time Embarassed I love getting the back end out on a corner and getting the back tyres smoking Twisted Evil

I know its not good for an engine but I get a rush out of the screaming motor and screaming tyres Wink
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Very Happy

I do the same thing with my old Punto (for 280'000km, and engine has all his compression after that km...) but that engine has some power at high revs, even if it was a turbodiesel pre-chamber helps it to rev up to 5500rpm...

The CB42 has the same thrust from 2000 to 5500rpm, so I can't find a reason to rev it over 4500rpm.

Yours is a 1.3 and maybe the engine have a different power delivery.

I bet that the 660cc of the video isn't a racing engine.

And they are rednecks, they are proud to be rednecks, and I think that kind of people is embarassing for the human gender.

Love for guns+love for hunting+love for killing animals and love for offroad together means in 99% of the cases that they are idiot people.

The litmus test is this.

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:05 pm

1300cc hijet really comes alive at the top end!

Can't wait to test drive my 1600cc conversion pickup in the garage, next few weeks I'm pushing this long overdue project forwards to MOT test point.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:04 am

Very Happy that's interesting!

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu on Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:25 pm

After christmas we do another trip on the Scanuppia to carry a load of peach stones that we use to heat the house, instead of wood.
We have a big fruit juice factory near here, and a load of about two tons of peach stones cost us about 35€...less than wood, and stones has more calorific value and using it is more pratical than wood.

If I find a camera, I do a film of the climb... Very Happy

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi on Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:34 pm

El_Ventu wrote:
If I find a camera, I do a film of the climb... Very Happy

Twisted Evil
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:46 pm

El_Ventu wrote:a load of about two tons of peach stones cost us about 35€...less than wood, and stones has more calorific value and using it is more pratical than wood.

This is very interesting! Never thought of burning something like that.
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by waz on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:10 pm

When I lived in Hungary we used to burn walnut shells, gave a great heat and all for free
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:08 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:
El_Ventu wrote:a load of about two tons of peach stones cost us about 35€...less than wood, and stones has more calorific value and using it is more pratical than wood.

This is very interesting! Never thought of burning something like that.

Me too, I discovered this possibility thanks to the parents of my ex-girlfriend.
They use peach stones since the early '80, in their tiled stove.
We do the new year party in their house on the Scanuppia.

I tried peach stone in my kitchen stove and they burn very well with a huge amount of heat than wood...
Maybe too much, I have to put in it a small quantity of stones at a time to avoid the top iron plate to glow red hot... Very Happy
In the tiled stove they are the best choice, because they can heat the stove faster than wood, burning with a high air flow making virtually no ashes.

Next year I want to buy a couple of tons and I want to build a closed flame plate to put on the original stove grid, reducing the air flowing between them, allow it to burn slowly to avoid overheating of the top plate.

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:14 pm

I guess these shells/stones are like a very dense wood, much denser than a hardwood like oak.

I'm sitting here thinking what we might have in the UK to burn. Waste products are great!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:29 am

in addition to the density of the wood, the seed inside is rich in essential oils, which have a high calorific value.
While burning, the oil inside evaporates and goes into pressure, when the shell is cracked the steam blows out, burning with a very hot flame.

It is like burning wood of coniferous trees, the resin drip thanks to the heat and burns with a very hot flame, if there is enough oxygen in the combustion chamber.
If not, like in stoves that regulate the flow of heat choking the intake air, oils and resin cause very dangerous blockages of the chimney due to the formation of creosote... the danger is in the fact that creosote is flammable, and if it ignites, the chimney overheats and there is a risk that the roof or the house catch fire.
We clean the chimney every year, in some cases they are about clean and in other not, it depends on the type of wood you burn and on the type of stove heat regulation.
Mine has about "free" flow, I can choke a little the air inlet, but not totally.
Stove of my parents can be chocked in the air inlet and partializing the chimney, and it is good if the chimney has a strong draft like their.

The tile stove of parents of my ex girlfriend have a quasi air tight air inlet, made to allow the heat stay in the stove AFTER the fire is gone.

If you do the mistake of closing totally the air intake when the fire is still burn, fire chokes and wood emits a lot of flammable gases due to pyrolisis, if the little quantity of oxigen coming from the inlet re-ignite the fire, the stove can explode because of the flammable gases accumulation in it.

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:10 am

We decided to avoid using peach stones because of their calorific value... Very Happy

The house owner, the father of my ex girlfriend, prefers to save the chimney from overheating possibly caused by drunk people feeding stoves... Very Happy

However, yesterday we go up (in seven people+ my dog Very Happy ) to prepare some things, tomorrow we go up to stay.

The street is covered by ice at now, snow turned on ice in last days because it rained.
No problems at all with the porter with snowchains.

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:36 pm

My dog have problem with fireworks...
Then I must return home today... Sad

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:42 pm

Drug him!!!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:43 pm

Or get some of those noise cancelling head phones Smile
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:04 pm

There's no problem, I don't like it too.

And in the houses around us there are some stupid young boys.
I was a stupid young boy, and I know perfectly that I don't stop my fireworks for a dog.

However I had some high quality beer at home... Razz

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:48 pm

1:32 Razz

Those guys have played in a festival that we do with the "Sinergie Lagarine" collective.
We done a collective between all the youth associations of our valley.
Initially we met only to plan our activities, to avoid to do events overlapping during the year.

In the first meeting was born the idea to do a big event all togheter.
We are 14 associations, one of these does by years an event called "PortoBeseno", Beseno is the name of the castle of our village, inside it.
The castle is property of our Province, then associations have the possibility of use it to do events.
Officially it is a museum, but pratically it's "only" an incomplete medieval castle...During the ages the owners decided to eliminate all the roofs to avoid paying taxes on covered surfaces (we have a lot of destroyed castles due this law), then about only the walls are intact...

Then, we had the chance to make an event inside the castle.

First edition in may 2011, over 2000 persons visited the castle for the event.
Three stages in the three bastions of the castle, Electronic music in the south one, acoustic and theatre in the central one, and rock/folk in the northern.

Last year, the second edition Razz

We worked hard, we used also the tournament field in the lower side of the castle to do activities for childrens during the day, and the elctronic stage in the evening, because the northern bastion was closed due to work for an exposition.

I'm the logistic responsible, and I done load of trips up and down the castle with the Porter to carry a lot of the things for the event, from beer to musical instruments, from the gazebos to the fridges for food, from food to audio plants etc.

During one of those trips, Hyper!Ion filmed me on the Porter... Razz

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:43 pm

I can see the hijet!
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:35 pm

It's snowing!
In less than five hours we have 10cm of snow, and for the first two hours it snowed a lot less than now...

Meteo forecasts says it continue snowing to tomorrow midday...

And I've got the flu.

But...this evening we go dinner with parents of my girlfriend, probably with the Porter... Very Happy

If I can, I make some photos...

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:31 am

It is stopping snowing now, only a few flakes are falling...
But we have 35cm of snow at the soil.

Yesterday we gone dinner with the Porter, and in the return, I don't know why Razz , I decided to take some country roads... Very Happy

Before of all, I took the broom for the snow at home...
Try to do this street with a FWD car Razz

Then, some trips in country roads...
Not too deep...

But here the alternator belt starts slipping Very Happy...

This is THIS street...
I like it when it snows, because it follows all the mountain base, and snow is deeper than in other places... Smile

And this is my town this morning...

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top